Trouble at Brandonsford!

A White Box FMAG Sandbox
badams30

Re: Trouble at Brandonsford!

Post by badams30 »

Dewplo cautiously approaches, and as he reaches the edge of the grass the large frogman abruptly stops and turns, facing the halfing. He tilts his head curiously, and speaks - his voice a deep one accented with clicks and croaks, and he says "Hello there. who is this?"

The other frogmen stop what they're doing and turn to face the grassy border. None make a move for their weapons.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Dewplo "the brave" Buttonberry

Dewplo left his bow seated on his back, but stays alert. Somewhat relieved the Frogman speaks common, he responds cordially. Clearing his throat, "Hello, Mr. Frogma... err, Sir. My name is Dewplo, an Imma travelin to... uh... " visibly nervous, it seems Dewplo has completely forgotten where he's coming from and where he's going to!

After quite a bit of fidgeting and mumbling, "Err... eh, I just come from Hollivers Gap." he explains, pointing over his shoulder in the direction of the city. "I'm travelin ta Brandonsford. I hear there's a Dragon, or somp'thin o'the like. Which I ner'did see one."

Master Sneaker
Target priority: imminent danger (self or companion), then the target most injured.
+ Arrows = 20
+ HP: 7
+ AC: 13
+ Super sneaky (Near Invisibility (1-5/d6))
+ To Hit: +3 with missiles (+1 melee), or +5 if Hidden (+3 melee).
+ Only receive half damage from 'Giant Types' (Ogres, Giants, Trolls, etc.)
When possible, Sammich will always try to retrieve previously fired arrows.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Hugi steps out and extends a hand, palm up to show he has no weapon ready. We are travelers through these parts, heading to Brandonsford. I am Hugi. What may I call you?

badams30

Post by badams30 »

When you mention the dragon, the frogman glances at his companions then back and you and says "My name is" and says a short burst of croaks and clicks and then makes a noise that you'd probably assume is like a laugh and says "but one of my human friends calls me Groak, that's probably easier for you to say." The other frogs make laughing noises at his comment.

"You've heard right about the dragon. The closer you get to Brandonsford it gets more dangerous, we stick to the treeline just in case the dragon comes. I haven't seen it up close, but it's killed many of our kind and eaten much of our food, or scared it off. That's why we're here, hunting. We don't talk to people much, except some of the woodsmen. But we have heard that the people of Brandonsford don't leave the town anymore, too scared of the dragon. You are safe sleeping where you are, but any closer to the town and you should stay in the trees, the dragon mostly follows the road when he wanders."

Groak looks you over and says "You come to kill the dragon?"

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Hugi smiles and says, I would be glad to be known as the Dragonslayer. I knew a hobbit once. Squirrelly fella, always on the edge of you know what I mean. But he was known as Dragonrider. That commanded respect. So Dragonslayer? Better than being known as Dwarf-who-couldn’t-hack-mining.

Pleased to meet you Groak. We’re glad for the information. If we can help you in any way, we’re at your service.

He doffs his helmet and bows so low that his beard nearly sweeps the ground.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Willig also approaches carefully. He nods and smiles at the frog creatures. "My pardon, Mr. Groak, but would your good people know if this dragon has a lair somewhere nearby?"

badams30

Post by badams30 »

At the mention of a hobbit who rode a dragon, Groak's eyes get large and he says "such a hero is needed now. I'm glad to see you coming to help, and no offense, good sirs, but I feel that vanquishing this beast that plagues us will require some careful thought and planning to defeat. Our numbers were small before, but since the dragon has come, our survival is a question. We haven't dared to confront this dragon, to do so would mean our deaths, for sure. But you might want to ask the people of Brandonsford what they know."

When Willig asks the question about a lair, the other frogs start croaking at Groak and they converse for about a minute and Groak turns back and says "We aren't sure, as we usually don't' go too far from our treetop village, but we think the dragon makes it's home somewhere a few miles north of the town, toward the mountains. But we're not sure. Perhaps one of the humans at Brandonsford knows more. Our kind does not fare well in the mountains, so we know little of this place."

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Dewplo "the brave" Buttonberry
badams30 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:49 pm
"We aren't sure, as we usually don't' go too far from our treetop village, but we think the dragon makes it's home somewhere a few miles north of the town, toward the mountains. But we're not sure. Perhaps one of the humans at Brandonsford knows more. Our kind does not fare well in the mountains, so we know little of this place."
Dewplo's eyes glaze over at the mention of a Tree-Top Village, and all other dialogue turns into muffled blurs, "Oh! Mr. Groak, your village sounds splendid! Do you ever allow visitors there? How far off the ground is it? I bet it's so tall someone like me could never see it from the ground!" realizing he probably sounds daft, he looks to the ground as his voice trails off. "What of these Woodsmen, Sir? How many Woodsmen friends do you have? Are they friendly to others?" Again, the Halfling realizes he's rambling questions, so he turns it onto his group instead, "Maybe these Woodsmen fellas know sump'in about'a Dragon's den... lair... hidey-hole... thing."

Master Sneaker
Target priority: imminent danger (self or companion), then the target most injured.
+ Arrows = 20
+ HP: 7
+ AC: 13
+ Super sneaky (Near Invisibility (1-5/d6))
+ To Hit: +3 with missiles (+1 melee), or +5 if Hidden (+3 melee).
+ Only receive half damage from 'Giant Types' (Ogres, Giants, Trolls, etc.)
When possible, Sammich will always try to retrieve previously fired arrows.

spanningtree

Post by spanningtree »

Eerik

Comes out of the bushes and joins the group while giving a nod to the froggies.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Groak makes a facial gesture you'd assume is a smile at Dewplo's questions. "Our village is but a small one. We live in the trees for safety. We don't often have visitors, but you'd find it to be quite welcoming. There are many woodcutters who live around Brandonsford, and I occasionally run into them. There are several whom I've come to know, but I don't see them often. We try to keep to ourselves, and the tree-fellers are our main point of contact with the human settlements." He gives a thoughtful glance skyward as you mention the woodsmen knowing about the dragon. "Hmm... perhaps you are right. They haven't shared any of this information with us, but the town is small enough that you should be able to learn what they know quickly. And from what I've heard they are anxious to be rid of this menace, as are we..."