Trouble at Brandonsford!

A White Box FMAG Sandbox
badams30

Trouble at Brandonsford!

Post by badams30 »

You've all made your way to the city of Hollivers Gap, the last major settlement before the untamed and wild borderlands of the north, intent on making a name for yourself - seeking wealth, adventure, and glory. Finding a clean, affordable room at a local inn, you all have made each other's acquaintance after several days of wandering about the city, in search of direction or leads on where to go next. General consensus seems to be to proceed northward, but your paths become more galvanized after hearing a traveller spinning a yarn of danger and opportunity late one evening...

After finishing a hearty meal and a couple frosty mugs of ale, the innkeep (knowing of your shared desire of finding adventure) urges you to chat with a merchant who is passing through. After buying a couple drinks for the gent, he tells you all:

"I don't know what to make of it. The last two caravans to Brandonsford have just up and disappeared. It doesn't make sense. We've been running that route for 5 years now with not a single hiccup, then all of a sudden - everyone just up and disappears. It don't make no sense. Then the other day, a lone guard makes his may back here, nearly dead, out of his mind. The only thing he keeps saying is that a dragon came out of the woods and destroyed the entire caravan. WITHOUT A TRACE! Now I was skeptical like anyone would be, but then just this morning one of my colleagues informed me that he'd heard secondhand that the village of Brandonsford has been besieged by a DRAGON! And that they were offering a thousand gold to anyone who could hunt and kill the beast. Can you believe it?"

You've heard of some small jobs and guard duties that might pay your tabs, but thus far, the only information of substance that you've heard involves the dragon terrorizing Brandonsford. So on this chilly spring evening, you've all gathered in the greatroom of the inn to discuss your next course of action - with the intriguing prospect of what's going on at Brandonsford top of mind in your discussion....

After asking some questions, you learn that the small settlement of Brandonsford is a three day journey to the north. With no other lucrative prospects o the horizon, you all conclude that while daunting, your collective talents and ambition might be able to equal the challenge of the dragon terrorizing the small town. You awaken to a final day in the gap, preparing to depart, taking care of all the last minute needs....

Brandonsford lies 3 days to the north via the tradeway. It's a relatively safe route with some established campsites along the way. With fair weather and and no interruptions you anticipate making the town in 3 days. Any last tasks or things that need to be wrapped up? Once everyone replies (and I resolve any necessary needs) we'll get underway!

greyarea

Re: Trouble at Brandonsford!

Post by greyarea »

Hugi finishes his ale, wiping his mouth and beard of froth with a gauntleted hand.

Well, that seems like a lot of work. I think instead I’ll get a job here in town with the local blacksmith. He should have more work now that the caravan isn’t throwing off the local economy. Thanks for the drink!

I mean…

Seems like we have work to do, fellow adventuring types. I will gladly see what I can do to help the caravan. Will they pay for basic expenses as well? If so, we could use rations and more ale, both now and for the trip.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Dewplo "the brave" Buttonberry

"I'm feelin a'bit green'er takin ona dragon." The Halfling says while puffing his long (for him) Churchwarden pipe... "but... I'll go along an'lend me bow. Say, we gonna take any kin'o steed, or mebbe a wagon'er sumpin?" he asks his companions.
Last edited by connivingsumo on Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanningtree

Post by spanningtree »

Eerik

Burping at the mention of a dragon and then again when the reward amount comes out, Eerik nods a bit slacked jawed. That's a win win proposition... I'm in as well. Agreed that steeds, rations, and a suitable quantity of reagents that keep reality at a distance would be helpful. Otherwise I'm good at first light to be off..

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Willig listens carefully to the tale. He thinks that there is more to this than meets the eye. "Dragons?! I'd like to find an eye-witness to this dragon. That may be better than marching off into an unknown situation."

He will ready his gear and get a good night's sleep before marching off into the unknown with the rest of the group!

If he can find an eyewitness along the way, he'll try to make time for a chat.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Hugi says, I know someone who claimed that dragons were his personal bane. Went exploring once, on horseback, with others. Tied up their horses outside of a stair in the side of a hill, where a thief had once been caught in a fight. While they were inside, a red dragon, big as houses — and I mean human houses, not a hobbit warren or such — comes by and eats their horses. They come out and alls left is reins and a red dragon lazily flying away.

But then it was an elf who told me that. Can’t trust them tree-huggers a bit. Told me he rode a dragon like a horse too, so he’s probably full of it.

Like whoever said about dragons and Brandonsford. Likely it’s just a wyvern or a carrion crawler that people made to be bigger than it was…

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Watching you all talk about your plans, the innkeep brings out a fresh set of foamy mugs of ale and he says with a grin "you won't find any mounts at the moment, but thankfully it's a safe walk to Brandonsford from here. It's been a pleasure having you as guests, I'll have the cook put together some parcels of food to take with you if you need it. It's on the house. I'll have it ready for you at daybreak. From what I've heard the caravans have been beseiged when close to the town. So I'd stick to the cover of the treeline and keep your eyes peeled on your way. A good many people would be indebted if you managed to sort this whole thing out. And you're likely to find things to keep you occupied and your purses full up that way too."

spanningtree

Post by spanningtree »

Eerik

Chugging from the newly provided ale and arching an eyebrow at the lack of mounts: I guess a good walk will clear the ol'noggin... dragon eh... legendary. <burp>

Eerik will accept the extra rations, turn in a bit earlier than usual, and get up at the crack of dawn.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Hugi drinks heavily, assuming that it will be the last time to taste ale for some time. Waking all too early, he joins the caravan.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Dewplo "the brave" Buttonberry

Watching Eerik with wide eyes, Dewplo tries to keep up! The half-pint grabs his oversized mug and begins chugging his fresh brew. Gulping and gulping, it flows over his upper lip and runs down his baby-faced cheek drenching his under shirt. Head tilting back further and further, Dewplo's eyes begin to cross as he desperately searches for the bottom of his mug... finally!! his empty mug slams the table. Bluueeehhrrrp! His gut involuntarily relieves the pressure; however, the sound isn't the guttural, voluminous, croak like Eerik let rip; no, Dewplo's is more a pressure-hissing hiccup-verp.

With a sheepish grin, he looks up to the group, cheeks suddenly flushed and rosy, unconsciously rubbing his belly, "Oh my!" he says through a continued smile. Proud of his accomplishment, he once again retrieves his pipe... "Well... I think I'm ready to go!" hiccup!!

Master Sneaker
Target priority: imminent danger (self or companion), then the target most injured.
+ Arrows = 20
+ HP: 7
+ AC: 13
+ Super sneaky (Near Invisibility (1-5/d6))
+ To Hit: +3 with missiles (+1 melee), or +5 if Hidden (+3 melee).
+ Only receive half damage from 'Giant Types' (Ogres, Giants, Trolls, etc.)
When possible, Sammich will always try to retrieve previously fired arrows.