Trouble at Brandonsford!

A White Box FMAG Sandbox
tumblingdice

Re: Trouble at Brandonsford!

Post by tumblingdice »

Sythandra likewise waits in silence. Hugi's got this, even if he's merely a dwarf.

spanningtree

Post by spanningtree »

Eerik

Thinking: Mmmmm... yeah.... Hugi's on this. If we end up as bushes we know who to blame... To himself.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

The old woman nods slowly as she takes in your words. She motions for you to come closer. As you approach she says "That darn dragon. Ever since it came around everything's all messed up around here. You say you're trying to get rid of it? That creature will make short work of the likes of you all. What do you have planned?"

She taps her staff on the ground and eyes you curiously, her bulging eye wandering around...

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Um… starts Hugi, feeling much like the teacher just asked him to the front of the class. I believe we are going to get the Sword of Brandon and then…

His eyes dart around a bit. Well, see, that’s the thing. Our plan was: first, confront dragon; second, slay it; finally, reap the rewards. I’m not sure we’ve got much more than that. Oh, we have the sword (which we still need to get) and a few potions and a blessing by the priest and vague topiary threats from a nymph. And that’s about it.

We’ve come to you for some advice. Maybe we need a lot more than we thought. Look, we were originally just looking to answer advertisements for someone to clear out giant rats or a goblin nest. But fate decided that “nope, that there group needs to slay dragons” and here we are.

He shrugs sheepishly.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

the moment the word "topiary" leaves Hugi's lips the face of the elderly woman lights up. "Do you like my topiaries? I spend a lot of time on them. It sometimes takes me a couple days to do a single one, but its my hobby." She rambles on for about 30 minutes about how she trims them, how she maintains them, and how she has to keep some of the wildlife from eating them.
After her long winded lecture on topiaries, she shakes her head and says "Oh yes, that nasty dragon. Well... if its still there, the sword would be a good start." She scratches her chin in thought and then exclaims "Ah, that's it! Here's an idea - to the west, across the river there is a grove of trees that drips wine like sap. This isn't your normal wine, one sip can knock a mortal unconscious. If you were to get enough, perhaps you could knock the beast out? Well, there's the bit about getting the wine. The fauns that live in the grove probably wouldn't take kindly to outsiders strolling in and taking their wine. You might want to strike up a deal with them, they can be nice if you are kind to them..."

She smiles and suddenly says "Oh, wait! I've got something that might help you get around." She ambles back into her cottage, reappearing about a minute later with a small sheet of parchment, it has a map drawn on it with some landmarks. She hands it to Hugi and says "I sketched this out a while back but never had a need for it. We're here (she points to the small hut to the east of town.). She points to the house directly north of her hut and says in a stern voice "That's the giants house, you'd want to leave him alone. He keeps to himself, but he's a grumpy sort." She points to the log across the river and says "This is where you cross to visit the Faun's Grove. The grove is about a mile west of the bridge, you'll know it when you see it"

(posting the map to the map thread as well)
Brandonsford Area Player Map.jpeg

spanningtree

Post by spanningtree »

Eerik

Hmmm... thank you! What is the tent to the north of the log? He murmurs nervously.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

spanningtree wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:30 pm
Eerik

Hmmm... thank you! What is the tent to the north of the log? He murmurs nervously.
"That's a large clearing where the caravans usually stop for the night when they're on the way north or south. Sometimes caravans will make camp right outside the village, but usually they stay at this place."

kipper

Post by kipper »

"Avast, what say ye about these?" Jocasta asks, pointing at the barrow, the ruins, the cave, and the other dark feature in the north.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Sythandra stifles a laugh as she comes to the realization that the topiaries are nothing more than they seem. Then her eyes light up at the mention of fauns. Oh, I'm sure I could convince them to help us, she says.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

kipper wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:25 pm
"Avast, what say ye about these?" Jocasta asks, pointing at the barrow, the ruins, the cave, and the other dark feature in the north.
The old lady squints to look at the icons and says "That barrow is Sir Brandon's tomb." The cave is a big opening in the mountain, probably caused by a quake or something probably 20, 30 years ago. The woodsmen said the dragon stays there, but I'm not sure about that. I'm too old to go up there."

She points at the ruins and says "this is just an old ruined temple. Some ancient god of nature or such. Not sure who or what. It's been abandoned for longer than I've been alive. And that dark area, that's the old mine that those nice dwarves live at. It was abandoned for nearly 100 years and they came along and started mining it again. Such nice fellows."

She smiles and says "let me know if there's anything else I can help with. And do be careful if you go see the Fauns. They can be nice enough, but my friends in the pond tell me there is talk about goblins afoot across the river."