Trouble at Brandonsford!

A White Box FMAG Sandbox
badams30

Re: Trouble at Brandonsford!

Post by badams30 »

Everyone agrees to head to visit the dwarves and get some of their metal for the smith and in turn obtain some barter goods for the fauns in return for some of their sleep-inducing wine.

It's still early in the day and bidding Vivian goodbye you make decent time following a trail to the river (the symbol of the big log crossing the river). When you arrive at the river, you find it's not spanned by a log at all, but rather a primitive looking but quite sturdy hewn log bridge, wide enough to fit a wagon with room to spare on either side.

You cross the river, noting that it's not particularly swift, but with just enough current to move along at a slow but steady pace. Pausing for lunch for a half hour, you continue on, noticing that the trees are thinning out somewhat around here.

Passing though a grove of trees, you catch the faint smell of smoke and burnt wood, and you come to large clearing that has scattered bushes and small trees here and there, but the clearing itself appears to be a campsite that sees some regular use. At this time, no one is camping, but there's definitely something going on in the area. Rounding a slight bend (still just inside the treeline) you see about 3 large but ruined tents, what looks like approximately 3 wagons, all reduced to charred and smoking wreckage, their cargoes, now unidentifiable and burnt, and a handful of charred corpses of humanoids and several horses. The ground around the area has been disturbed by large footprints, and you can see several trees damaged by the passage of something large and heavy.
Then you notice some movement on the opposite side of the wagons - Goblins. You see 4 scraggily looking goblins rummaging through the burnt scene occasionally putting small pieces of debris into a large handcart sitting next to them. They are apparently too engrossed in their task to notice you all. You are about 200 ft from them, and to approach you will be in the open for about 150 of the 200 foot distance. You don't see or hear anything else.

Actions?

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Hugo whispers, Goblins, I hate these guys.

We don’t want them rabbiting so we need to get close and surprise them if we can. Capture one so we can find out what happened to the dwarves and maybe find their goblin camp. Sound good?

The ones I engage we don’t capture. My dwarves cousins deserve some rough hewn justice!

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Sythandra smirks in reply to Hugi's comments. I don't feel much like talking to goblins, either. But if it can get me closer to more goblins that I can kill, then engage it is!

The elf turns to Dewplo and Elrey. Any chance, she asks, you two halflings want to sneak up closer with me? We'll be quieter than these lumbering humans and the dwarf. She turns and winks at the humans and Hugi to imply no hard feelings.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Dewplo "the brave" Buttonberry

Dewplo whispers "What if one of us..." clears his throat "Not me." he says even quieter shifting uncomfortably, "But what if one of us went out alone? Trick them into thinking it's just one, but then when they get closer to our cover we can all ambush them?"

He pauses to consider Sythandra's suggestion, "Ok, but I'm much better with a bow than I am face-to-face, but I'm willing to sneak closer."

Master Sneaker
Target priority: imminent danger (self or companion), then target the most injured foe.
+ Arrows = 20
+ HP: 7
+ AC: 13
+ Super sneaky (Near Invisibility (1-5/d6))
+ To Hit: +3 with missiles (+1 melee), or +5 if Hidden (+3 melee).
+ Only receive half damage from 'Giant Types' (Ogres, Giants, Trolls, etc.)
When possible, Sammich will always try to retrieve previously fired arrows.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

connivingsumo wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:59 pm
Dewplo "the brave" Buttonberry

Dewplo whispers "What if one of us..." clears his throat "Not me." he says even quieter shifting uncomfortably, "But what if one of us went out alone? Trick them into thinking it's just one, but then when they get closer to our cover we can all ambush them?"

He pauses to consider Sythandra's suggestion, "Ok, but I'm much better with a bow than I am face-to-face, but I'm willing to sneak closer."

Master Sneaker
Target priority: imminent danger (self or companion), then target the most injured foe.
+ Arrows = 20
+ HP: 7
+ AC: 13
+ Super sneaky (Near Invisibility (1-5/d6))
+ To Hit: +3 with missiles (+1 melee), or +5 if Hidden (+3 melee).
+ Only receive half damage from 'Giant Types' (Ogres, Giants, Trolls, etc.)
When possible, Sammich will always try to retrieve previously fired arrows.

It's late afternoon, so plenty of light, and open ground to cover but Dewplo does have a wagon between the goblins and himself, and they seem to be preoccupied with looting. Also, you're pretty sure that the gobs didn't come from the direction you did, which means they likely came from the northwest.

spanningtree

Post by spanningtree »

Eerik

They probably came from the ruins to the northeast.... I like the idea of sneaking up on them the best we can but if they take off they might return with more in the evening.

OCC: is there anyway to get closer from w/in the tree line?

kipper

Post by kipper »

Jocasta is happy to act as bait if we go with the ambush plan. She think the sneaking plan will be quite risky for the sneakers, as the rest of us will be too far away to come to their immediate aid.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Echoing Erik — do we think we can get closer following the tree line or some other way?

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Scanning the treelike, you could probably get to within about 25-30 feet if you were to flank them and approach from the Northwest, in the direction they likely came from. They don't seem to be in a hurry, so you likely have plenty of time to move as you need.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Hugi suggests doing that while the elf and hobbits sneak.

Pincer move!!!