Trouble at Brandonsford!

A White Box FMAG Sandbox
badams30

Re: Trouble at Brandonsford!

Post by badams30 »

After an evening of a few too many ales, some hearty meals, and good companionship, you awaken and gather you possessions, heading downstairs to eat and be on your way. The inn keep is waiting for you and the smell of warm food pleasantly fills your nose.

"Good morning! I've got some breakfast ready for you, and some stuff to help you on your way." He points to 4 small sacks stacked neatly on the floor, and a small cask with a cork stopper in it. "That's enough food to get you to your destination, and a little libation to make the trip more bearable. When you get up there, go see my friend Bently at the Clumsy Fox Tavern, and tell him Mort sent you."

After a quick meal, you all say your goodbyes to the staff at the inn and set out. Leaving the city you head north on the packed dirt tradeway, the terrain is a mix of grasslands and scattered light forests. The temperature is pleasantly cool, and you make your way north.

Your day is uneventful, and toward late afternoon the terrain starts to change from grassland/light forest to more forest, and while you see evidence of recent passage, it's strangely quiet and you see no one, other than the occasional bird or rabbit munching grass along the trail.

As the sun starts to get lower in the sky, you see a clearing about 1/4 mile ahead, with a small stream of smoke wafting skyward. As you cautiously approach, you see a clearing with a single figure sitting at a fire pit, a donkey tethered nearby. As he sees you approaching, the person stands up and waves at you all, and the only thing you can hear is the braying of the donkey as he stares at your approach.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Good day, fine sir. I believe we are to meet you to accompany a caravan... says Hugi. He will introduce himself.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Willig says to no one in particular, "I hope the caravan is larger than this."

OOC--Willig has prepped a sleep spell for today.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Dewplo "the brave" Buttonberry

Dewplo chuckles at Willig's joke, then dips into a mild bow to the man. "Greetings, fine Sir."

Master Sneaker
Target priority: imminent danger (self or companion), then the target most injured.
+ Arrows = 20
+ HP: 7
+ AC: 13
+ Super sneaky (Near Invisibility (1-5/d6))
+ To Hit: +3 with missiles (+1 melee), or +5 if Hidden (+3 melee).
+ Only receive half damage from 'Giant Types' (Ogres, Giants, Trolls, etc.)
When possible, Sammich will always try to retrieve previously fired arrows.

spanningtree

Post by spanningtree »

Eerik

Hello. He says with a slight wave and waits for his comrades question to be answered.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

As you approach, you get a better look at the person near the fire, and he appears to be a human, probably in his 70s, slightly stooped by age, skinny, and with long white hair and a long white beard. He seems friendly enough, with a broad smile. "Plenty of room here for a few more, c'mon and join me, the fire's going really nicely. I don't have any food to share, but I've got plenty of firewood!" He motions for you all to join him by the fire.

He seems to be alone, his donkey is tethered to a small tree and next to him is a large set of saddlebags and a couple large burlap cargo sacks that apparently drape over the side of the beast to carry cargo. He appears to have very little possessions or cargo, just a large quantity of firewood.

He munches on a large chunk of bread and in between bites he says "Mort's the name. This here is my donkey, his name is donkey. We're on our way to Brandonsford, what about you fellas?"

At the mention of a caravan he looks puzzled and shrugs. "Hmmm... haven't seen any caravans lately. That's odd. But Then again, I ain't seen a soul on the road either. That's odd too."

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Willig looks into his parcel of food an pulls out an apple and some cheese that he'll give to the old man.
"Tell me, old Mort, have you been to Brandonsford before? What business are you looking for in that town?"

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Hugi rubs his face and says, Well, Mort, it's good to know you. I had a donkey once who worked with me in the mines. His name was Jack and my father used to say that between us we were Jack-Ass. He sure thought he was a funny one, my father.

Say... We're supposed to meet a caravan and you know nothing about it. Have you seen anything unusual along the road? Great beasts or shadows in the wood? That sort of thing?

spanningtree

Post by spanningtree »

Eerik

Also taking a seat and rummaging through the parcel provided at the inn. He'll eat what is freshest. Taking in the conversation.

Mort, how often are you on this road/trail? Have you noticed a reduction on forest critters recently? Deer, rabbits and such?

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Morts smiles as Willig hands him the apple and cheese. He quickly takes a bite out of the apple, and nods approvingly as he chews. "Thank you, I'm gettin' tired of bread and dried beef..." As you ask him questions he tosses a few more sticks of firewood on the fire. "Aye, I've been to Brandonsford before, but it's been a long time. I lost my farm last month, and to be honest, donkey is all I've got. I'm heading north looking for work. Donkey and I got strong backs, and we're lookin' for honest work. Anything unusual? I haven't seen a soul on the road, and usually there's all sorts of traffic to and fro, but nothing. Must be slow or something. What are you boys up to? What takes you north?"

The fire pops and crackles, and donkey, apparently more comfortable with you, lays down with a sigh, burying his head under his leg....