Moderator: badams30

badams30

Re: Chapter 1: We're off to see the wizard

Post by badams30 »

connivingsumo wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:07 pm
kipper wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:22 pm
"You're volunteering to take the lead?" Kane asks Zapolas with incredulity. "I was gonna let the Big Man(c)(tm) here go first, Elves got more balls than I give 'em credit for. Sure, go ahead."
I meant in the context of the floor being sturdy enough to hold weight, not me "going first"! :lol:
Without warning, Zapolas bursts into flames and dies. Theo shrugs and says "That was very sad. Anyway... I wonder if his rations got burnt?"

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:20 pm
Without warning, Zapolas bursts into flames and dies. Theo shrugs and says "That was very sad. Anyway... I wonder if his rations got burnt?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So do I get to reroll a level 5 Wizard, Salopaz? :mrgreen:

badams30

Post by badams30 »

connivingsumo wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:31 pm
badams30 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:20 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So do I get to reroll a level 5 Wizard, Salopaz? :mrgreen:
Even BETTER. I have a pre-rolled character for you. His name is Fred, all his ability scores are 3s, he's narcoleptic and he's a wizard. I know how you love a challenge.

kipper

Post by kipper »

badams30 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:51 pm

"It's iron. Feels sturdy." He descends, probably only about 7-8 feet, and with the light of the torch in the hole, you can see he's in a small square room that extends to the south. Theo steps out of sight, but you can still see the glow and movement of the torch. A moment later he returns to the bottom of the stairs and says quietly "It's just a small room, there's a single door about 20 feet away. It's dry down here from what I can see, and I don't hear anything."
Kane follows Theo down the ladder, and listens carefully at the door. If he hears nothing, he tells Theo to open it.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Kane joins Theo down the ladder. The entry room walls and ceilings are made of very old limestone, and it's very flaky and dry, with pieces of it scattered around. The room doesn't look unstable, but the stone is clearly aged and falling apart. Theo absentmindedly pokes at the wall with the pommel of his sword, and a big chunk of stone falls to the floor. He winces and says "We'd better keep an eye out, this doesn't look too safe."

Kane listens at the door, and the rest of the party joins them down the ladder. Hearing nothing, Kane motions for Theo to open the door. With a nod and a stern look, Theo puts his weight into the door, and it swings open with little effort, and when it does, Kane notices what seems like a very faint breeze, and the stale air of the other room is replaced with fresh air.

Peering through the open door, you see a hallway extending 50 feet ahead, ending in a T intersection. To the immediate right of the door opening (the door Theo just opened) is a 10x20 alcove that has several old crates and barrels in it. Several crates look like they've been clawed open, and sit in pieces, empty. About 5 crates have scratches on them, but are intact. There are also 4 picks and 2 shovels here, along with two bundles of 20 torches total. the 4 barrels look sealed and the stoppers untouched. (The opened crates and scratches aren't particularly recent, and are covered in a light coat of dust and limestone pebbles.)

(I'll add a map shortly.)

kipper

Post by kipper »

"Well, seems there's something down here that got into the crates," Kane says. "Something hungry, if it used to be food in there."

He examines the crates to see if his hunch is correct.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Albrecht grabs a pick and shovel, waiting to see what Kane finds.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas searches the scratched crates.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Kane, Theo and Zapolas look about at the crates and barrels. The crates that have been busted open have bits and pieces of cheesecloth and bakers paper in them, and despite having no identifying markings, it seems quite logical that they contained food at one time. Theo points at some of the deeper scratches and says "Those look like bear claw marks to me. Not a big one though, and they look pretty old." Judging by the thick coating of dust, the claw marks do look old. You notice the other crates have been cracked open, probably within the last several months. The remaining crates contain dry rotted parchment, some candles, a couple bolts of very plain brown fabric, some wool socks, and one crate is filled with broken glass shards (the outside is marked FRAGILE) they may be from some wine glasses or thin glassware, all broken and in a sad pile at the bottom of the crate.

The 4 small barrels are marked - One says "Rum". Another says "Brandy" The two remaining just say "Flammable - Oil" on them.

The picks and shovels are in good shape, they look to be newer and with only a light coat of dust on them.

It's still quiet, no sign of recent passage.
Attachments
IMG_1936.jpg

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas

Zapolas stands back by the door they just entered and allows the "door crew" to take the lead.