Character Generation, House Rules

A Swords & Wizardry Complete Sandbox

Moderator: badams30

badams30

Character Generation, House Rules

Post by badams30 »

Rules: S&W Complete (pdf https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByYame ... sp=sharing if you don’t have it.)

Character Generation:
• Roll 3d6 7 times, keep the highest 6 rolls.
• Max HP at first level. Reroll ones on subsequent levels.
• Fighters may choose one weapon and gain a +1 to hit with that weapon.
• Clerics can cure light wounds or bless one time per day at level 1 (access to full spell load at level 2)
• Thieves can re-roll any single die roll once per day (notify GM in advance, if this roll fails, I’d like to use my re-roll.)
• Wizards start with 3 player-selected spells plus read magic and detect magic (wizards may also cast one of these two spells per day without taking
up a spell slot – essentially a free spell)
• NO assassin PCs or multi-classing.

Equipment:
• Roll 3d6 x10 for starting gold
• Thieves start with thieves tools, clerics with a normal holy symbol, warriors with a single non-silvered weapon, and wizards with a spellbook at no
extra cost

General Stuff:
• Death: At 0 hp, you're unconscious. Below zero, you are slipping towards death, with death at minus 10.
• Binding Wounds: after combat, you can bind wounds for 1d3 (but never heal to max HP). You can do this once per day.
• Critical Hits/Misses: A natural 20 will always hit (unless a silvered or magic weapon is required) and do max weapon damage, and a natural 1 is
always a miss.

Background & Character Stuff:
One Sentence Background: A simple background will suffice. Even one sentence. If you want some special or specific backstory, just let me know.

How We'll Play:
To keep things moving, I'll make all the rolls. Please tell me what your action is for the round, and you can give me a conditional action ("I'll attack the kobold, but if it's killed before I attack, then I'll advance to the door" or whatever).
This will be mainly theater of the mind, and I’ll keep maps and diagrams to a minimum. If combat or a situation is confusing or complicated, I may post a quick map/sketch, and don’t be afraid to ask for one if you need it.
Lastly, If combat is winding down or the victory of the characters looks certain, I may just continue the actions from the previous round to resolve the combat and keep things moving.

Hirelings:
It’s not a bad idea to hire some torchbearers, porters or simple men at arms to help out. Depending on where you are at you may be able to find a place (such as a guild) that might have capable help for rent. Or you can try the inn, or drop a few gold to someone to help recruit some assistance. The quality and quantity of your hirelings may lean heavily on where you are, but regardless, anyone you hire will have basic minimal equipment applicable to their role unless otherwise specified. I’ll use CHR and how your hirelings are treated/compensated to determine their loyalty. Assuming they are successful and remain with the group for a time, they may be elevated to a first level NPC with a half share of XP.

Experience:
PbP doesn’t lend itself to rapid advancement, but I’m going to tweak the XP rules a little to account for roleplay, problem solving, etc. So killing bad guys and snagging gold is good, but wits, smarts and clever solutions will be rewarded too.

kipper

Re: Character Generation, House Rules

Post by kipper »

Are we using the minimum attribute requirements, on page 25 of S&W Complete? If so, are we using a 2-for-1 tradeoff system to increase stats?

(I'm thinking of playing a Monk, which is why I am asking)

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Sorry, Brandon, I didn't get notifications you had updated your game threads here; coincidentally, I just came to check-in and *BAM! all kinds of updates, so I'll get to reading.

Honestly, I don't recall ever having played S&W, so I've got your 2nd printing rules here and am reading them. I see in my gaming folder that I've visited their forums, so maybe I've made a character before. Anyway...

I'm thinking Elf Wizard since we (potentially) have a Monkey-Thief.

EDIT:
It started out great, but - as I've mentioned - I have terrible die rolls; here's my online die-rolling spread:
16 = 646
8 = 521
5 = 212
4 = 121
11 = 353
8 = 413
4 = 121
Sweet! I get to toss out a 4... and still have a 4. :wtf: Can we put these in any order, and/or what Kipper was saying?
If it's alright with you, DM, I'll try a different online die-roller.
Last edited by connivingsumo on Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

kipper wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:27 pm
Are we using the minimum attribute requirements, on page 25 of S&W Complete? If so, are we using a 2-for-1 tradeoff system to increase stats?

What version of the S&W rules do you have, kip? Core or Complete, or some other version? I don't know how many Frog God has come out with.
I've been scouring page 25 (and there abouts) on the link badams posted and I can't find that rule.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Rik… yikes. Re roll that guy. He’s walking dead. And we’re talking S&W Complete, the blue Otus cover. And monks are fine.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

kipper wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:27 pm

Sorry, forgot about the 2-1 thing, thats fine. And yup, monks are okay!

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:09 pm
Rik… yikes. Re roll that guy. He’s walking dead. And we’re talking S&W Complete, the blue Otus cover. And monks are fine.
:lol: Thanks Mr.B my die rolling is crazy terrible sometimes.
badams30 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:10 pm
How does that work, exactly? I can't find it in the link you posted, so is it just a straight two-point deduction for a single-point increase?

Are there any limits to it, something like "you can only deduct up to 4, total" or "you can only deduct 2, once, from two different stats" etc.?

badams30

Post by badams30 »

connivingsumo wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:11 pm
badams30 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:09 pm
:lol: Thanks Mr.B my die rolling is crazy terrible sometimes.
badams30 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:10 pm
How does that work, exactly? I can't find it in the link you posted, so is it just a straight two-point deduction for a single-point increase?

Are there any limits to it, something like "you can only deduct up to 4, total" or "you can only deduct 2, once, from two different stats" etc.?
Sorry, Rik, just noticed your question. Yup, just simple 2 for 1, no limit, we're all familiar with each other, so I don't see any problem with abusing this.