Chapter 1: We're off to see the wizard

A Swords & Wizardry Complete Sandbox

Moderator: badams30

kipper

Re: Chapter 1: We're off to see the wizard

Post by kipper »

Kane directs Theo to smash the door across the hall.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Albrecht waits for Theo to complete Kane's bidding, flail at the ready.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

kipper wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:22 pm
Kane directs Theo to smash the door across the hall.
Zapolas stands back and also waits.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Theo sheaths his sword and approaches the door. He grabs the handle and puts his weight into it, and aside from a screeching noise as the damp door slides across the floor, it opens easier than the previous one. This room has a large horizontal hole in the wall toward the ceiling level that lets light and some water into the room. There is a narrow circular staircase going up, although as your eyes adjust to the light, you can see dozens of holes in the floor above, and you can make out pinpricks of daylight coming from above that floor. It looks as though the circular stairs are iron and appear sturdy, but you can clearly see that the floor above is unsafe.

due to the amount of water that has entered this room, the contents are in much worse shape than the adjacent room. There seem to be several chairs that probably were upholstered, and some cabinets and tables, and a thick fuzzy mat of moss and grass that seems to have been a thick rug at one time.

This room has been disturbed though. You can tell that the furniture has been piled up toward the south wall of the room, and the moss and vegetation covering the floor has been scraped away mostly, now it's just muddy muck. There seems to be less muck and mud toward the northeast corner of the room though, like it was deliberately cleared.
Attachments
IMG_1871.jpeg

kipper

Post by kipper »

Kane pushes his way past Theo and into the room. He heads for the north-east corner and begins searching for the expected trap-door in the floor.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

kipper wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:47 pm
Kane pushes his way past Theo and into the room. He heads for the north-east corner and begins searching for the expected trap-door in the floor.
Kane's instincts serve him well. It only takes a moment to find the trapdoor in the floor. It doesn't look like it was intended to be a true "secret door" but it's recessed into the floor. Kane is momentarily startled when he pushes lightly on the trapdoor and with a whoosh and a click, the door lifts upward and with a faint breeze of air that carries a musty smell with it. Gazing down, Kane sees a 5 ft wide stairway leading down, and the passage seems to be dimly illuminated. The stairs down are silent and dry.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas

Zapolas asks his crew, "I'm pretty light weight. Should I go inspect that area that's been cleared of the muck?"
Last edited by connivingsumo on Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kipper

Post by kipper »

"You're volunteering to take the lead?" Kane asks Zapolas with incredulity. "I was gonna let the Big Man(c)(tm) here go first, Elves got more balls than I give 'em credit for. Sure, go ahead."

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Theo holds up his hand and says "I agree with Master Kane on this one. We don't know what's down there, and I think I should check it out first. It might be nothing but a root cellar, but we can't afford to have anything happen to you, Master Zapolas."

Theo takes the torch and steps into the wide opening, testing his weight on the ladder.

"It's iron. Feels sturdy." He descends, probably only about 7-8 feet, and with the light of the torch in the hole, you can see he's in a small square room that extends to the south. Theo steps out of sight, but you can still see the glow and movement of the torch. A moment later he returns to the bottom of the stairs and says quietly "It's just a small room, there's a single door about 20 feet away. It's dry down here from what I can see, and I don't hear anything."

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

kipper wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:22 pm
"You're volunteering to take the lead?" Kane asks Zapolas with incredulity. "I was gonna let the Big Man(c)(tm) here go first, Elves got more balls than I give 'em credit for. Sure, go ahead."
I meant in the context of the floor being sturdy enough to hold weight, not me "going first"! :lol: