A Swords & Wizardry Complete Sandbox

Moderator: badams30

badams30

Re: Chapter 1: We're off to see the wizard

Post by badams30 »

tumblingdice wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:14 am
Albrecht readies his flail.

OC: Hey guys, please NPC Albrecht for the time being. I'm going out on paternity leave, and need to be on duty for my family during the next six weeks. Wish us luck.
Good luck to you, the fam, and the Missus!

badams30

Post by badams30 »

The group pauses, and Zapolas strains his eyes to find a target for his sleep spell. Aside from the light breeze moving some leaves, everything is quiet and still.

About a minute goes by, and then from the middle of the grove (directly in front of the rough path you need to take to get to the river) steps a small humanoid dogfaced creature wearing scraps of leather armor and bits of sad looking bear-skins, plus an ill-fitting rusty helmet, and carrying a spear that he has across his chest. He steps just out of the treeline and plants the butt end of his spear into the dirt and holds out his hand towards you all.

He blurts out in fairly understandable common - "WHO ARE YOU! AND WHY ARE YOU IN THE GRIZZLIES FOREST? ARE YOU FRIENDS OF THE VIPERS?"
After he mentions Vipers, you hear some chattering in the treeline, but no other creatures come forward.

Hopwood whispers "The grizzlies keep to themselves, something must have them riled."

kipper

Post by kipper »

Kane ignores Hapwood's comment.

"I wouldn't know the grizzlies or the vipers from my ass!" he shouts. "But if I were you, I'd let us pass or there will be trouble!", he glares menacingly.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas
kipper wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:35 pm
Kane ignores Hapwood's comment.

"I wouldn't know the grizzlies or the vipers from my ass!" he shouts. "But if I were you, I'd let us pass or there will be trouble!", he glares menacingly.
"Oh boy..." the Wizard mumbles as he gulps audibly. Zapolas prepares himself... to flee or cast a spell, he's not sure which!

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Hopwood sheepishly shouts "We're not friends with the Vipers, these fellows saved me from some goblins, I don't know if they were vipers though."

Theo steps up with his sword drawn and says in the best booming voice he can muster "We're just passing through, we don't want any trouble."

There's some quick chatter in the trees, and the brave kobold who can be seen lowers his spear and says "We don't want no trouble with men or the village. If you kill goblins then we have no fight with you." As he speaks, a slightly bigger, obviously older kobold comes from the treeline. He has a shiny short sword on his belt, and a bear head cloak over him. It's pretty worn, but looks better than the peacemeal bearskin the other kobold has on. He walks with a pronounced limp and leans heavily on a knotted oak walking stick he carries. The older kobold says something to the other, and it says to you "Chief Gruk asks if you'd be interested in killing some vipers, he says in addition to the gratitude of mighty grizzlies, he may have something that you'd be interested in."

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas keeps one eye on the Kobolds (and Theo!) while the other eye strains to his party members, "Sounds like an interesting offer; what do you all think?"

badams30

Post by badams30 »

connivingsumo wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:21 pm
Zapolas keeps one eye on the Kobolds (and Theo!) while the other eye strains to his party members, "Sounds like an interesting offer; what do you all think?"
Hopwood shrugs and says at a whisper "Our shire made peace with the grizzlies years ago, and they've been out of sight and have caused no trouble to us or anyone else that I know of. I think they're about as trustworthy as you'd hope to find."

kipper

Post by kipper »

"What exactly are you offering?" Kane asks the old kobold directly. "I'm not about to run around for you on the airy fart of a promise!"

badams30

Post by badams30 »

The kobold pauses while he tries to translate what Kane says, and the old chieftan chuckles for a moment before replying to the other kobold.

"The chieftan says he likes how bold you are, and says goblins would be no match for a man such as yourself. He also says that he has two things - one, he can tell you where the men who were at the tower before you went to. And he knows of an old tomb in the forest that has been untouched by man or Grizzly."

The chieftan nods as the other kobold finishes. He quietly says a few more words and the kobold translates: "The chieftan says if you wish to help us, come back to this clearing and we'll come for you. You will be guests of his and he will send some of his best warriors to help you."

He continues: "Chieftan says the men who were at the tower before you arrived went east, about two days to the ruined temple in the hills. A holy man in black robes killed two of the three men and had his men take the other one with them in ropes. They also went through all the mens belongings, only taking one thing, leaving much behind."

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas

"Oh my, those men, that doesn't sound good!" he says as he ponders if those men are still at the Ruined Temple, and if that temple has anything to do with the Tomb the Chieftain is speaking of.