Chapter 1: We're off to see the wizard

A Swords & Wizardry Complete Sandbox

Moderator: badams30

badams30

Re: Chapter 1: We're off to see the wizard

Post by badams30 »

You all rest your road-weary legs and backs and enjoy the hearty fare. Rudi keeps your tankards full and foamy, and the barmaids keep the food and fragrant bread coming out. After some time to eat and some light conversation, Hopwood excuses himself and thanks you all again, and he prepares to retire very early, asking Rudi for some hot water and someone to launder his clothing.

Rudi takes away your dishes, and offers you more ale or drinks of choice. As Hopwood departs, Sigfied nods approvingly at your group and says "I'm sorry, but I have to ask... were you able to locate the tome? Your rapid return makes me think not. But I'm curious to hear of your journey."

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas
badams30 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:30 pm
[...] Sigfied nods approvingly at your group and says "I'm sorry, but I have to ask... were you able to locate the tome? Your rapid return makes me think not. But I'm curious to hear of your journey."
I believe we have, Sir. The Elf says quietly as he produces the tome from his backpack sitting under the table between his legs. He holds the item low by the table bench he's sitting on, so as not to have it in plain view of everyone in the tavern.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Albrecht backs up Zapolas' story with a quiet smile of self-satisfaction. His gaze tries not to linger for too long on the attractive barmaids.

kipper

Post by kipper »

"You doubt us?" Kane replies with a snort to Sigfried.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Zapolas low-key hands the tome to Sigfried, and his eyes light up at the sight of it. "Myyyyyy.... I wasn't sure it was still in existence, but here it is." He stares at it for a moment and then tucks it under his robe. "Very good job, fellows. I'll give you a little extra for your troubles and your haste. This is more than I could have hoped for."

Theo hands Sigfried the messy stack of papers and notes that he took from the lab, and Sigfried pats him on the shoulder. "Hmmm, that's a nice touch. Very interesting. Thank you all. You have done a fantastic job. I didn't expect to see you tonight, so please come by tomorrow after you've had a chance to rest and I'll give you your payment and then some."

Albrecht smiles at the barmaids, and they wink at him and keep his tankard brimming with ale. Sigfried chuckle at Kane's comment and says "Oh no, my lad. I never doubted you all. I could tell when I first saw you all that you were quite capable and resourceful. A fine job, and I'm certain you were quite instrumental in this achievement."

Theo chats with Sigfried for a few minutes, and then politely excuses himself to head home to his parents house for the night. He says he'll rejoin you all in the morning. Shortly after, Sigfried bids you all goodnight, his excitement barely contained to get into his new tome and lab notes. After a couple hours of eating and mild drinking, Rudi politely tells everyone that it's last call and that you can stay down by the fire if you wish so long as you are quiet, but the bar and kitchen will be closing.

Plans for the rest of the night and tomorrow AM?

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Albrecht, remembering his higher calling, contents himself with winks and mild flirting. After a little more socializing, he'll head up to his room for evening prayers and sleep. In the morning he'll head to the local temple for more prayers.

kipper

Post by kipper »

Kane has not a few drinks and then tosses and turns all night, worried that Sigfried will somehow disappear before he can give us our payment!

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas retires shortly after the older wizard departs. He studies his spell book and turns in for the night. The next morning, he seeks a hearty breakfast and is anxious to get to Sigfried's.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

After a well-earned meal and drinks, everyone turns in for some sleep. You all sleep restfully, except for the worrying Kane, who is confident that Sigfried is packing up his goods to head for greener pastures before paying you all...

Rudi has a light breakfast ready shortly after you awaken, and Albrecht has risen early to find a place to pray.

Albrecht: You ask Rudi about a temple or worship place, and he sighs and says that there isn't a temple or church in the area, and occasionally the church does send a travelling priest through, but it seems to be more of a donation gathering trip than for good deeds. He says the old temple near the edge of town has been closed for over 40 years after some tragedy occurred, but it was before his time here. The Burgomeister is quite adamant about keeping it off limits. He does say that the connected garden to the temple is still occasionally maintained, and there is a small shrine in the back near the creek, and that travellers sometimes go there to pray.

Deciding to check it out, Albrecht strolls over toward the temple (description from the intro thread:About a quarter mile outside the main town center and at the edge of the woods is a ruined temple. At one time it was clearly the biggest and most impressive structure in the town, but it is crumbling, with two side walls partially collapsed and the upper stories a jumble of wreckage of timbers, stones and roof tiles. Despite the sorry state of the building, the large double doors at the front are in good repair and have a large chain through the pulls with a keyed lock and a faded sign that says "KEEP OUT BY ORDER OF THE BURGOMEISTER. NO EXCEPTIONS".). Albrecht finds the path through the overgrown garden, and locates the quiet shrine. Just the sound of the river and some lightly blowing leaves are all he hears, and he feels comfortable praying here.

Any other actions before you head to Sigfrieds? Theo rejoins you at the inn about the time breakfast is served.

kipper

Post by kipper »

Kane is raring to go catch Sigfried!