Chapter 1: We're off to see the wizard

A Swords & Wizardry Complete Sandbox

Moderator: badams30

kipper

Re: Chapter 1: We're off to see the wizard

Post by kipper »

Kane attempts to move the tree pinning the skeleton down.

OOC: As I was reading the recent posts, I had already decided upon the above as Kane's next action before I got to the final post about what Albrecht can hear.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Albrecht helps Kane move the tree. He wants us to set him free!

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas stands back - at a distance (~10') - and let's the "strong folk" do what they do as they try to free the wriggling bones.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Theo sets his gear aside to help lift the tree, and where Albrecht and Kane were almost able to move it, with Theo's help, the tree is easily lifted and gently set aside. The skeleton uses what's left of its arms, and does its best to pull/push itself to an upright position against the trunk of the tree, and it's basically upright. It presents a pitiful appearance, if not a bit macabre. It shifts its glance among those of you who freed it, and settles it on Albrecht. Lifting both its arm bones to point them toward the priest, Albrecht (and only Albrecht) hears the very faint voice again "Thaannnnnk you.... free me. free me please..... free me.... To my resssssst..... free meeeeee.... the stone...... free me..... the stone.... has..... the stone...... free me..... freee..... free....."

To the rest of the party, it appears that the half skeleton is reaching out to the priest to be picked up or something, but it's clearly trying to communicate in some fashion.

kipper

Post by kipper »

"Well, it's free now but I guess it's not going anywhere with no legs," Kane says.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

badams30 wrote:The path leads over a slight rise, and you can just barely see some rough, jagged stone visible over the crest of the hill.
Albrecht looks from the skeleton to the stone just visible over the hill. Is that the stone? What would you have us do, my friend? he asks of the corpse.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

The skeleton stares intently at Albrecht, and he can hear the whispering voice in his head.
"Stone did this... the stone... stone gone... stone... did... thissss.... please release me.... rest.... free me from this.... thank youuuuu.... "
No matter what you ask it, it keeps repeating the same combination of words. It seems to have a very limited capacity to communicate, but keeps saying the same words.
Theo mumbles "It seems really pitiful. I don't think it wants to hurt us." And he sheaths his sword. He starts to gather the scattered bones and carefully starts setting them next to the skeleton. (this doesn't seem to have any effect but Theo seems to find some peace in doing it.)

The skeleton slowly moves its head shifting its gaze across all of you, but always settling it on Albrecht.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

What stone do you think he means, Albrecht asks of his companions.

kipper

Post by kipper »

"I don't know, but it's surely no ordinary stone!" Kane replies. "However, I wonder if an ordinary one might suffice... at least to end it's suffering with a good blow to the skull."

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

kipper wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:03 pm
"I don't know, but it's surely no ordinary stone!" Kane replies. "However, I wonder if an ordinary one might suffice... at least to end it's suffering with a good blow to the skull."
"Well... he's missing half his body and that didn't do him in, but maybe the life is in the skull?"