A Swords & Wizardry Complete Sandbox

Moderator: badams30

connivingsumo

Re: Chapter 1: We're off to see the wizard

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas
badams30 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:13 pm
[...] "But you seem to have a capable wizard in your ranks, and I will give him the means to hopefully gain entry and get past any hindrance."
Zapolas looks around, quite confused, he zeroes in on his companions. He thinks to himself... Hmm... this monastery fella looks capable enough, but not arcane? And the Cleric, very capable, but - again - not arcane?! Then it hits him... OMG! He's talking about me!
He stutters a bit, "Uhh... hehe, I don't think I'll boast capable, but I'll do my best, and I'd love to compare notes, sometime... when you're not too busy."

The timid Elf yields some unsure looks to his companions, "I would like to help Mr. Sigfried, if we can."

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Albrecht considers the old man's story, and offer, and listens to his companion's questions. How do we know the book isn't cursed, he asks with suspicion, and apprehension. And are you not a capable wizard yourself? I'm no arcanist, but I can't imagine your, well, mature age working against you when it comes to magic.

kipper

Post by kipper »

"Sure, if you're paying, I'm game." Kane replies to the wizard.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

tumblingdice wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:44 am
Albrecht considers the old man's story, and offer, and listens to his companion's questions. How do we know the book isn't cursed, he asks with suspicion, and apprehension. And are you not a capable wizard yourself? I'm no arcanist, but I can't imagine your, well, mature age working against you when it comes to magic.
The wizard smirks just faintly and says "I'm pretty certain that the book isn't cursed, but you'll just have to take my word for it. And I suppose I'm still capable, but as you can see, I'm not as young as I once was, and if I were to spend my time cavorting about the wilderness I'd probably be eaten by a bear or dung beetle or something in my sleep. Not to mention the residents of our fair village require my help from time to time. So I prefer to leave the bravery and heavy lifting to much younger and more able types such as yourself. And as you say, for good and all that, right? I'm not at liberty to divulge the reason for my desiring this tome, but I can tell you it will be put to good use for the fine people and area, to be sure."

Sigfried steps up and pats each one of you on the shoulder and says "So what do you say, noble Priest? It sounds like your colleagues are in, and I think I speak for all of us when I say I think your good graces with the higher beings and your abilities may prover essential here."

He steps back before you can answer and says "If you choose to undertake this task for me, I'll happily advance you some coin so you can procure any necessary non-magical supplies for your short trip and needs. I'll trust good Zapolas with a couple scrolls of mine that will hopefully ease your entry into any structure you might come across. And I'm happy to put you in touch with the lad I mentioned, he can hold his own in a fracas and he'd fit in well with your band. Oh, and how could I forget - I'll pay each of you 500 gold if you return with the tome, and I'll pay half if you put forth a good effort but turn up empty handed, assuming of course that you leave no stone unturned."

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas whispers to himself... "500... each!...

kipper

Post by kipper »

Kane hold out his hand for the promised advance in coin. "What's this reliable lad's name?", he asks, making only a token effort to keep the sarcasm out of his voice.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Well, Albrecht says, I could certainly use the gold. First thing I'll buy is some better armor! This, he adds, looking down at his shabby ring mail, was a spare suit I found in the vestry.

The cleric listens for the wizard's reply to Kane's question.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

kipper wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:25 pm
Kane hold out his hand for the promised advance in coin. "What's this reliable lad's name?", he asks, making only a token effort to keep the sarcasm out of his voice.
Sigfried frowns momentarily, but then his characteristic smile returns and he says "Excellent! If that book is still out there, I'm certain you boys can find it." He says "Wait here, I'll be back in a moment." After a quick trip to his home, he returns with a bulging pouch. He glances for a moment at Kane, then hands the pouch to Albrecht. "There you go. 30 gold each, that should help your preparations. The outfitters should have any normal goods that you might require."

Smiling at Kane he says "Theobald. Theobald is his name. He lives with his grandparents just outside of town. I'll send for him to meet you tomorrow, assuming he approves. I am pretty certain he will, he's been quite anxious to do something adventurous. I'll see to it that he's equipped suitably as well. He's a trustworthy young man, and as honest and hardworking as they come."

Moving to Zapolas, he produces a sturdy leather wrapped scroll tube and presses it into the Elf's hand. "Inside you'll find two scrolls. Both are the same, use these if you encounter a portal or lock that you can't bypass." (2 scrolls of Knock)

Offering an outstretched hand to shake with each of you, he says "I assume you'll be leaving tomorrow or thereabouts. I'll meet you at the gasthaus tomorrow morning with some details to help you find the location, and to answer any last questions that you might have."

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas

Zapolas thanks Sigfried and offers a timid grin in return for the coins & scrolls.

*character sheet updated
Sigfried should loan me his Staff Of The Magi! :mrgreen:

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

connivingsumo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:52 pm
*character sheet updated
Sigfried should loan me his Staff Of The Magi! :mrgreen:
Careful there, Sumo. He who asks for Staff of the Magi might receive Vorpal Blade instead.

Someone should put that in a fortune cookie.