Re: Chapter 1: We're off to see the wizard

Post by badams30 »

tumblingdice wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:57 pm
connivingsumo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:52 pm
*character sheet updated
Sigfried should loan me his Staff Of The Magi! :mrgreen:
Careful there, Sumo. He who asks for Staff of the Magi might receive Vorpal Blade instead.

Someone should put that in a fortune cookie.
Hey! Isn't the mystical hippie mumbo jumbo supposed to be the wheelhouse of the Monk guy?

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

tumblingdice wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:57 pm
connivingsumo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:52 pm
*character sheet updated
Sigfried should loan me his Staff Of The Magi! :mrgreen:
Careful there, Sumo. He who asks for Staff of the Magi might receive Vorpal Blade instead.

Someone should put that in a fortune cookie.
:lol:
badams30 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:27 pm
Hey! Isn't the mystical hippie mumbo jumbo supposed to be the wheelhouse of the Monk guy?
:lol: :lol:

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Yeah, you're probably right. Didn't mean to steal your thunder there, Kipper.

kipper

Post by kipper »

Kane grunts in acknowledgement.

Later, to his friends: "If this Theobald doesn't run at the first sign of danger, I'll be shocked. The way Sigfried's promoting him, must be some bastard son of his, I reckon. Those old wizards have spells for everything, e v e r y t h i n g," he adds pointedly.

He asks Albrecht for his share of the advance payment. "I'll do some scouting in town. I think I'll start with the Inn, good place for rumours." He heads for the Inn and immediately starts drinking.

OOC: I'm not planning on buying any further supplies in preparation for the mission.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Albrecht chuckles at Kane's suggestion of Theobald's parentage as he hands the monk his 30 gold pieces. He then counts out 30 more gold coins to give to Zapolas the elf.

Not feeling especially thirsty, he heads to the nearest good-aligned temple to pray.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Kane gleefully makes his way to the gasthaus with 30gp in hand. There are a couple locals inside who stare curiously at the monk as he takes a seat at the bar. Rudi takes his order and keeps the ales coming, throwing in a hearty stew for lunch at no cost. (Kane, if you want to make any small talk or engage anyone, just let me know. Rudi seems friendly enough, as do any patrons.)

Albrecht asks Sigfried about any temple or shrine, and he says "Well, unfortunately we don't have a priest in town. The temple has been closed for about 20 years at least, after the priest went a bit bonkers. We don't see many holy men around here, but there is a travellers shrine at the edge of town, along the river" (he provides directions). It's only a 5 minute walk toward the north end of the village, you see an infrequently used small rough stone shrine. It has some carved runes in it to the various dieties of non-evil, and some wilted flowers and some exhausted candles, evidence of some occasional use. You spend some time praying, and with the calming sound of the rushing river, you feel very rested and relaxed.

Zapolas, a bit excited and overwhelmed by the coin and mission at hand, decides to take in the sights. After a short jaunt around the village, he stands near the outfitters, considering if he needs anything, when he hears a deep voice say "Master Zapolas? Is that you? Sorry to disturb you, but Sigfried told me I'd probably find you here." Looking over, the elf sees a young man with blond hair, blue eyes wearing some obviously local garb and carrying a pack with some well-used ring mail, shield and a sword in hand. He says "I'm Theobald. I'm told you might have a need for a fella with a sword? I'd really like to go with you, if you'll have me." He seems a young and somewhat shy fellow, but his smile and easy demeanor put you at ease.

Any plans to shop, or just wait for the wizard to come by in the AM?

kipper

Post by kipper »

Kane keeps mostly to himself and waits for morning.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas
badams30 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:11 pm
"Master Zapolas? Is that you? Sorry to disturb you, but Sigfried told me I'd probably find you here." Looking over, the elf sees a young man with blond hair, blue eyes wearing some obviously local garb and carrying a pack with some well-used ring mail, shield and a sword in hand. He says "I'm Theobald. I'm told you might have a need for a fella with a sword? I'd really like to go with you, if you'll have me." He seems a young and somewhat shy fellow, but his smile and easy demeanor put you at ease.

Any plans to shop, or just wait for the wizard to come by in the AM?
Zapolas jolts, startled by the young man's deep voice, but then instantly recognizes him just as Theobald introduces himself. "AH! Theobald, yes - yes, good to meet you. You're just as Sigfried described, and he didn't steer you wrong; indeed, we are in need of your services young fella."

The Elf pauses to take in the youth's girth and equipment. "Do you need to purchase any gear before I introduce you to my companions?"

I don't suppose this equipment shop, or somewhere in town, would have something like a healing potion? I'm sure you said it was all standard fair, but thought I'd confirm about a healing pot, specifically :angel:

badams30

Post by badams30 »

To Zapolas: (I figured you'd want to try the outfitter's just to check the wares. If anyone else wants anything they can amend their post and come here.)

Theobald motions toward the outfitters shop. "Mister Zapolas, if you need anything Oaken probably has it, and if I'm here he'll give you a good deal."

Deciding to check out the selection, Zapolas and Theobald enter. The Zedernwald Outfitters shop is a huge building, and it's filled from top to bottom with goods everywhere. It's a warehouse like structure, and there is a partial second floor accessed from a stairway behind a long counter toward the back of the building. A catwalk extends to the left and right side of the building and there are wooden shelves hanging from the ceiling only accessible by the catwalks. Literally most every square inch of this building is utilized for storage. You can see skis, tents, farm implements, shovels, picks, lanterns, dogsleds, smaller sleds that can be pushed/pulled by a single person, just about anything you could want - think nordic outfitters.

The inside of the shop smells like spices and tanned leather. As you adjust your eyes to the inside, a heavily accented voice from the back says "Hello, Theo, how's yer folks? And who do we have with you, eh?" A tall, burly man with bushy blond hair exploding from beneath a stocking cap and attired in a matching knit wool sweater and leather overalls comes lumbering from behind the counter. He's easily 7 foot tall, quite a sight. As you introduce yourself he says "Pleased to meet you, I'm Oaken. What can I get for you?" He nods at Theobald and turning to Zapolas he says "If you're going somewhere with Theo here, you're in good hands! I taught him how to use that blade myself. He's got the strength of a pair of oxen, and he's as brave as they come, why you ought to ask him about how he fought a bear last winter, why he..." And he's interrupted by a blushing Theobald who says "Master Oaken is too kind, but let's get what we need, shall we?"

With a satisfied glance, the giant man nods and says "Heh heh heh... modest, like your brother was. What can you get you, my elven friend?"

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Albrecht tidies up the shrine a little during his visit, pulling any weeds or dead flowers. After saying his prayers, he heads to the Zedernwald Outfitters shop. Realizing he doesn't have enough money to upgrade his ring mail to chain mail, he decides that sometimes the best defense is a good offense, and--after introducing himself to Theobald--purchases a flail, if Oaken has one in stock.

P.S. Oaken!? Is there a sauna in this place? "Hoo-hoo!"