Chapter 1: We're off to see the wizard

A Swords & Wizardry Complete Sandbox

Moderator: badams30

badams30

Re: Chapter 1: We're off to see the wizard

Post by badams30 »

tumblingdice wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:58 pm
Albrecht tidies up the shrine a little during his visit, pulling any weeds or dead flowers. After saying his prayers, he heads to the Zedernwald Outfitters shop. Realizing he doesn't have enough money to upgrade his ring mail to chain mail, he decides that sometimes the best defense is a good offense, and--after introducing himself to Theobald--purchases a flail, if Oaken has one in stock.

P.S. Oaken!? Is there a sauna in this place? "Hoo-hoo!"
Ha, yes, you got the reference. Love that guy. But make sure you don't call him a swindler.

Albrecht receives a polite and warm welcome from the proprietor and from Theobald, who seems quite impressed to meet a man of the cloth. When asked about the flail Oaken nods enthusiastically and says "Why yes, I don't get much call for this sort of weapon, but someone passing through ordered one a couple years ago and never returned for it. So it's yours if you want it." He excuses himself for a moment, going up the stairs and rummaging through some overhead shelving, returning with a large package wrapped in burlap. Unwrapping the dusty cloth reveals a shiny new flail, fairly plain but sturdy looking. "Normally 8 gold, but I'll give it to you for 6. It'll serve you well."

Theobald picks up a double bladed woodsman's axe, a large canvas tarp with some ropes and stakes, and a large spool of twine with some bells. "The wild boars around here can sometimes be a bit nosy. And angry. My grandfather taught me how to string a little alarm around the campsite, it's saved me from some pillaging wildlife a couple times."

Any other items you need? Oil, torches, tools, etc? While the wizard didn't mention exact location yet, he did say that it's about a day's walk from here, so keep that in mind.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas
badams30 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:02 am
He nods at Theobald and turning to Zapolas he says "If you're going somewhere with Theo here, you're in good hands! I taught him how to use that blade myself. He's got the strength of a pair of oxen, and he's as brave as they come, why you ought to ask him about how he fought a bear last winter, why he..." And he's interrupted by a blushing Theobald who says "Master Oaken is too kind, but let's get what we need, shall we?"

With a satisfied glance, the giant man nods and says "Heh heh heh... modest, like your brother was. What can you get you, my elven friend?"
"Nice to meet you, Oaken. Yes, Theobald here came highly recommended; I'm sure he exceeds his reputation." Catching Theobald's blushing, the Elf clears his throat and gets to business... "I haven't a lot of coin, but wondering if you had something in the line of healing salves, potions, tinctures, that sort of thing?"

badams30

Post by badams30 »

At Zapolas' request, Oaken goes to a cabinet behind the counter and pulls out a square lump of burlap, about 3x3 inches, and about 2 inches thick. It's tied off with a twine knot. He sets it on the counter. "Afraid this is all I have, it's a bit hard to come by, and as you probably know we don't have a healer around these parts. I normally wouldn't sell this, but seeing as you're doing something for Sigfriend, and you've got Theo with you, I'll let you have it on the house with a promise that you come see me if you find any neat stuff you'd like to part with, and give me a deal, eh?" He pushes the burlap packet toward Zapolas and says "It's a healing poultice. Put it on a wound and dress it, and it'll help it heal better. It's got two uses, so make sure you only use it when you need it." (it's essentially a half-strength potion of healing, it's a bunch of healing herbs and bandages, applied soon after a wound, it non-magically heals 1d4 points of damage but requires a solid night of rest for it to work. So if someone is at death's door, it will stabilize them but will required uninterrupted rest to be fully effective.)

Theo smiles and thanks the shopkeeper.

Any other purchases? Anyone want to buy anything for Kane? A new staff? some chewing gum? A new liver?

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:22 pm
"It's a healing poultice. Put it on a wound and dress it, and it'll help it heal better. It's got two uses, so make sure you only use it when you need it." (it's essentially a half-strength potion of healing, it's a bunch of healing herbs and bandages, applied soon after a wound, it non-magically heals 1d4 points of damage but requires a solid night of rest for it to work. So if someone is at death's door, it will stabilize them but will required uninterrupted rest to be fully effective.)

Any other purchases? Anyone want to buy anything for Kane? A new staff? some chewing gum? A new liver?
What's the cost? :mrgreen:

badams30

Post by badams30 »

connivingsumo wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:25 pm
badams30 wrote:
"It's a healing poultice. Put it on a wound and dress it, and it'll help it heal better. It's got two uses, so make sure you only use it when you need it." (it's essentially a half-strength potion of healing, it's a bunch of healing herbs and bandages, applied soon after a wound, it non-magically heals 1d4 points of damage but requires a solid night of rest for it to work. So if someone is at death's door, it will stabilize them but will required uninterrupted rest to be fully effective.)

It's on the house. Freebie.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:12 pm
connivingsumo wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:25 pm
badams30 wrote:

It's on the house. Freebie.
Nice! :clap: :thumbup:

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Okay - any more actions before the following morning? If not, we'll pick it up in the Gasthaus in the morning as you prepare to set out.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:51 pm
Okay - any more actions before the following morning? If not, we'll pick it up in the Gasthaus in the morning as you prepare to set out.
None for Zapolas. :thumbup:

kipper

Post by kipper »

Kane is ready to head out (as ready as he'll ever be).

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

badams30 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:30 pm
Albrecht receives a polite and warm welcome from the proprietor and from Theobald, who seems quite impressed to meet a man of the cloth. When asked about the flail Oaken nods enthusiastically and says "Why yes, I don't get much call for this sort of weapon, but someone passing through ordered one a couple years ago and never returned for it. So it's yours if you want it." He excuses himself for a moment, going up the stairs and rummaging through some overhead shelving, returning with a large package wrapped in burlap. Unwrapping the dusty cloth reveals a shiny new flail, fairly plain but sturdy looking. "Normally 8 gold, but I'll give it to you for 6. It'll serve you well."
Albrecht examines the flail, turning it over in his hands. Well, it's a couple of years old,, he says, taking a few careful swings with it, but that's a good thing! I've heard they started making the newer ones in Shou Lung, and the quality isn't what it used to be. Many thanks, Oaken. You've got yourself a deal!

The young cleric is ready to go!