Chapter 2: On the trail of orbs, bad guys and adventure

A Swords & Wizardry Complete Sandbox

Moderator: badams30

badams30

Chapter 2: On the trail of orbs, bad guys and adventure

Post by badams30 »

The last thing Sigfried said from the previous thread:
"I know I sent you to retrieve a tome, but did you happen to see some kind of stone while you were there? You wouldn't have been able to miss it, it is rough but round, glows with a pulsating blue hue, and has religious sigils all over it." He nods at Albrecht and says "You would most certainly recognize them as being from your order." He shuffles through the papers and says "What I'm talking about is a glowing rock, it should have been in a silvered magical box. Anora had many notes about the orb, and apparently she had come into its possession and was experimenting on it. Clearly she had no clue what she was in possession of, and had gravely underestimated the capabilities of it. Did you see anything like this?"

kipper

Re: Chapter 2: On the trail of orbs, bad guys and adventure

Post by kipper »

Kane shakes his head in the negative. "You're too late." He relates what we were told by the kobolds.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:24 am
The last thing Sigfried said from the previous thread:
"I know I sent you to retrieve a tome, but did you happen to see some kind of stone while you were there? You wouldn't have been able to miss it, it is rough but round, glows with a pulsating blue hue, and has religious sigils all over it." He nods at Albrecht and says "You would most certainly recognize them as being from your order." He shuffles through the papers and says "What I'm talking about is a glowing rock, it should have been in a silvered magical box. Anora had many notes about the orb, and apparently she had come into its possession and was experimenting on it. Clearly she had no clue what she was in possession of, and had gravely underestimated the capabilities of it. Did you see anything like this?"
kipper wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:57 pm
Kane shakes his head in the negative. "You're too late." He relates what we were told by the kobolds.
Zapolas nods to Sigfried in agreement with Kane.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Albrecht nods in recognition. This sounds like the holy Orb of Alamanthus! One of the bishops in my order created this artifact many years ago to bring health and healing to the nations. Unfortunately for Alamanthus, may his soul rest forever in the arms of The Almighty, great was his faith, not so great was his skill with magic. The cleric takes a draft of his ale. The orb could heal, cure disease, and even raise the dead. But sometimes, it would bring people back to life in a state of...well...undeath! Whoever's looking for the orb now, I can almost guarantee that's what they're after. This is bad news, my friends.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Sigfried nods in acknowledgement at Albrecht's words. "YES. The orb of Alamanthus. And judging from some of the papers of Anora's, she obtained the orb without knowing about its history. She did mention that some of her experiments on it led her to the conclusion that it was flawed in construction and shouldn't be tampered with. Apparently she was planning to take the orb to someone within the order to turn it over to them, but for whatever reason that must not have happened. I don't know how she came by the orb, or the book for that matter, but obviously someone else found out that she had the orb and came looking. And whoever that is doesn't like old Sigfried here, but that could be just about anyone I've crossed paths with over the decades."

As he pauses he has his housekeeper pour everyone some coffee or juice and hands out some of his fragrant rolls.

"As good Albrecht says, this orb is very dangerous. My expertise is limited to magic, not things of faith and holy relics. I have no insight into how this works or the level of power it is capable of, but I trust good Anora's research, and she was quite fearful of the potential for abuse of this relic and it's ability to create abominations of undeath. She felt that if put in the hands of someone with knowledge of necromantic arts, it could be perverted into something truly catastrophic."

Waiting for his words to sink in he summons his assistant, who brings out several small pouches, handing one to each of you. Opening them, each has 6 small but fine emeralds within. (value 100GP each) "My thanks for your efforts to retrieve the tome. I have been looking for it for years, and you have faithfully and efficiently delivered it to me, so you've earned this." He sighs and says "But with the threat of this orb now looming over us, I will have to postpone my plans for the book." He catches his breath "Unfortunately, there is no one here who can investigate this further, I've already spoken to the Burgomeister about having some of the militia tasked with checking this out, but he turned the request down. He did say if we could provide some evidence of threat, then he would re-evaluate the request. I know you are guests here, and you owe nothing to this town, but without your help the humble folk could be in grave danger, a danger that could spread beyond the valley in short order. I would also assume that the Order would be very appreciative to have the Orb returned to them and their safekeeping. I've sent a messenger to the order with news of what we've learned, but it will take a good week for them to get the message, and I can't guarantee they'll take this seriously. So, I'm asking you to consider helping me... US out once more. I will see to it that you are paid well, and I can assure you that the folk of Mooseburg would be indebted to you."

Without pause Theo pounds his fist on the table and says "Of course I'm in."

Theo, Sigfried, and even the housekeeper turn to look at the party...

kipper

Post by kipper »

"If there is steady pay in it," Kane replies, "I'll believe anything you say."

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Albrecht snorts on his coffee at Kane's terse, mercenary and at this point fairly predictable response. Of course, he says, regaining his composure and wiping up the spill, I am duty bound to assist with anything having to do with my order. I'm at your disposal, he adds.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas

"This sounds like important work, so I am in agreement." Zapolas leans closer to Sigfried and speaks softly, "I don't suppose you have any spells, incantations, charms, summonings, or the like that I could scribe into my spellbook, here?" this Wizard asks hopefully.

eh... what system are we playing again?! I get all these 'old-school' variations confused, and don't really remember (I'm old) how all that spellbook stuff used to work, anyway. :crazy:

badams30

Post by badams30 »

connivingsumo wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:49 pm
Zapolas

"This sounds like important work, so I am in agreement." Zapolas leans closer to Sigfried and speaks softly, "I don't suppose you have any spells, incantations, charms, summonings, or the like that I could scribe into my spellbook, here?" this Wizard asks hopefully.

eh... what system are we playing again?! I get all these 'old-school' variations confused, and don't really remember (I'm old) how all that spellbook stuff used to work, anyway. :crazy:
I'm glad to see you posting, I was getting ready to break out my skeleton memes... SHEESH.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:22 pm
I'm glad to see you posting, I was getting ready to break out my skeleton memes... SHEESH.
I both love that and appreciate it, thank you. I don't want to go into a novel here, but my work is beyond crazy busy - but everything about it is positive, good, and wonderful. I mean, I'm putting in 50hrs/wk in addition to being a new (coming up on 2 years) husband and (essentially) a single-parent, but I am happy and grateful. If I couldn't post today, I was going to comment in /ooc that I was mega-crazy busy and would post soon! :mrgreen: