The many faces of Swords & Wizardry: Core Rules

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Core - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
tacojohndm

The many faces of Swords & Wizardry: Core Rules

Post by tacojohndm »

I had a little free time in October, so I dug out the print copies I had of the S&W Core Rules. Turns out that I only had a couple of printings (a 2nd printing hardback and a 3rd printing soft cover that we did under Black Blade). So I played around with the archived pdfs and filled out my Core Rules copies using Lulu to print the others.

(left to right) 1st print hardback, 2nd print hardback, 3rd print Black Blade Publishing soft cover, 3rd print hardback, 4th print hardback:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XP6JNiEhFwqjUKUf7

merias
Site Admin

Re: The many faces of Swords & Wizardry: Core Rules

Post by merias »

Very nice! I have only the 4th print hardcover. I did not know Black Blade did a printing of these rules. Also, welcome!

tacojohndm

Post by tacojohndm »

merias wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:27 pm
Very nice! I have only the 4th print hardcover. I did not know Black Blade did a printing of these rules. Also, welcome!
Thanks!! Been lurking for a while, from when I resumed my interest in S&W:WB. Seeing the collections of the various printings on Marv’s OF&D site inspired me to get with the program!

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

I think the 3rd printing is the best.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

cbarchuk wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:28 pm
I think the 3rd printing is the best.
Interesting! I have not looked at the older prints in a while, I opened up the 3rd print of core and I see it is quite different from the 4th print. It includes the Dwarf and Elf race-classes and essentially ignores the Halfling. Ability bonuses are also simpler. I think it's closer to the 1st print of core than the 4th.