My Tweaked Classes for S&W Core

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Core - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
merias
Site Admin

Re: My Tweaked Classes for S&W Core

Post by merias »

They seem fine to me, the swashbuckler perhaps you are right, do either/or - or maybe have the AC or attack bonus apply at higher levels only?

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

How about the AC bonus only applies to melee attacks? That makes better sense anyways. But I like the idea of the Fighter choosing at the start whether to utilize the bonus towards attacking or defending.

One final question concerning the Halfling. As it stands deadly accuracy only applies to thrown missile weapons (rocks, daggers, darts, and slings.) What do you think about either adding in Short Bows OR allowing Halflings to attack twice with Slings?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Yeah the AC bonus should be melee-only, I agree.

I allow Halflings to use the bonus for short bows, but I guess it depends on the flavor of your campaign. In the Greyhawk OD&D supplement, Halflings get +3 to-hit with the sling only (itself an interpretation of a Chainmail rule about every two Halflings firing stones as if they were three archers), but Holmes simplified it and gave them +1 to-hit with any missile weapon, and that was carried forward into the newer editions.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Cool. Do you think the AC bonus should be 'active' all the time or that the Fighter should choose each round how to apply the bonus? I kind of like choosing. It simulates the Fighter deciding whether to fight more offensively or defensively.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Yeah I thunk having the choice of one or the other is a good way to go.