My Tweaked Classes for S&W Core

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Core - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
cbarchuk

My Tweaked Classes for S&W Core

Post by cbarchuk »

Alright Doug, your comments tipped me over the edge to where I was leaning anyways and that is to only use the main 7 classes. Here's my entire pdf with all 7. Here are my tweaks some of which you've already seen.

Fighter

Cleave replaces multiple attacks vs. 1HD monsters
Spelled out the strength bonuses also apply to missile weapons
Access to Fighting styles which I think will allow a greater variety of Fighter types.
Parry is in there as well. I have it described as something you do instead of attacking.

Thief

Shadowy Senses
Uses Saving Throw for Thief Skills
Improved Backstab when using a Dagger
Cleric Attack Progression

Cleric

Slight changes. See class for details.

Magic-User

Gets a bonus 1st level spell if INT is 15+
Any Feedback?

Dwarven Warrior

Added +1 bonus to Dwarf's HD. Kept the increased XP requirement as well. Tell me what you think.

Elven Adventurer

Can choose either Magic-User or Druid Spells. Thinking of making only Druid spells just to make them more unique and different from Magic-Users.

Halfling Scout

Limited to leather armor and a shield. Not sure about this one. My thought process was their stealth is already amazing right at level 1 and I couldn't imagine that happening while wearing heavier armor.
Attachments
My Tweaked S&W Classes.pdf
(930.08 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

merias
Site Admin

Re: My Tweaked Classes for S&W Core

Post by merias »

cbarchuk wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:18 pm
Alright Doug, your comments tipped me over the edge to where I was leaning anyways and that is to only use the main 7 classes. Here's my entire pdf with all 7. Here are my tweaks some of which you've already seen.

Thief
Looks good, just need one sentence on how thief skills are tied to the saving throw.
Cleric

Slight changes. See class for details.
Looks good as well.
Magic-User

Gets a bonus 1st level spell if INT is 15+
Any Feedback?
I do similar bonus spells for both MUs and Clerics, no downside I can see.
Dwarven Warrior

Added +1 bonus to Dwarf's HD. Kept the increased XP requirement as well. Tell me what you think.
Looks good.
Elven Adventurer

Can choose either Magic-User or Druid Spells. Thinking of making only Druid spells just to make them more unique and different from Magic-Users.
I have seen the Elf/Druid mix before, I like it. Giving the choice between MU or Druid spells at character creation would be my choice. For an alternate take, see the Fey Elf in Gavin Norman's 'Theorems and Thaumaturgy', the spell lists are a mix of MU/Illusionist/Druid, plus a few unique ones.
Halfling Scout

Limited to leather armor and a shield. Not sure about this one. My thought process was their stealth is already amazing right at level 1 and I couldn't imagine that happening while wearing heavier armor.
My own house rules for Halfling fighters don't allow the hiding or sneaking in metal armor. So you may want to allow them to wear chain or even plate armor with that restriction. For a scout race-class, I'd probably just limit it to leather and chain (also ring if you use the S&W Core armor classes).

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Thief
Looks good, just need one sentence on how thief skills are tied to the saving throw.
Thanks Doug for your wonderful feedback. I added the d20 Thief Skill roll to the XP table. I went ahead and factored in the bonus. I also copied the Thief Skill descriptions from the Complete book and added them as well along with how success is determined. Let me know you think.
Attachments
Swords & Wizardry Thief v.2.pdf
(154.31 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Alright Doug, I'm making those changes and I'll upload the final shortly. Gotta question about the Magic-User. Is there a simpler way to word the "spellcasting" and 'knowing" spells descriptions? I just find them to be confusing to read and not entirely clear. Any suggestions?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Oh, btw it looks like pages 6 and 7 in the original doc are partial duplicates of each other.
cbarchuk wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:51 pm
Alright Doug, I'm making those changes and I'll upload the final shortly. Gotta question about the Magic-User. Is there a simpler way to word the "spellcasting" and 'knowing" spells descriptions? I just find them to be confusing to read and not entirely clear. Any suggestions?
It seems ok to me, but probably because I am familiar with how core/complete manages learned spells. But, for example, you say "A beginning Magic-User's spellbook contains as many of the eight basic first level spells as the character can know.", without defining how many that is. The table just shows how many spells the MU can cast per day. Maybe you would be better off omitting that paragraph entirely, or include the INT table so the reader has some context.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Cool. Here's the Magic-User with your recommendations.
Attachments
Swords & Wizardry Magic-User.pdf
(103.46 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Alright Doug, here is the final product adding in all of your suggestions. I would appreciate another review if you would be so kind. Thanks a ton for taking the time help me out. Cheers.
Attachments
My Tweaked S&W Classes.pdf
(935.05 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Looks good! The only possible issue I see is with the Halfling Scout, you now allow them to wear the chain or ring armor but did not change the hiding ability. My own preference is to allow Halflngs to wear the metal armors, but to limit their racial hiding ability so it can be used only while wearing leather armor. Like all of these house rules that is is purely subjective, so if you intended it to be that way it's all good!

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Thanks Doug. Initially I restricted the Halfling to only leather armor as I thought most players would want to take advantage of their 'scouting' abilities. I agree with you though I don't they should be able to use while wearing metal armor.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Hey Doug,

What are your thoughts on the Fighting Styles for Fighters? Do you think I should reduce the amount of styles they can pick? Should I change the Swashbuckler style to make the bonus either or?