Barrow Touched Halfling

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Core - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
JimboJimbo

Barrow Touched Halfling

Post by JimboJimbo »

One thing I love about Core is the Dwarven Warrior. Its existence hints at demi-human cultural norms that differ (if only very slightly) to the Human standard. Everyone's seen the halfling scout, dwarf warrior, and dwarf cleric, but I wondered what other cultural archetypes existed within the dem-human clans.

I get the impression Mr. Finch does not like the halfling race, being that (in Core) they don't get the standard bonuses to saves, missile attacks, defence against large creatures, or even the cannonical ability to be so still as to go unnoticed. Personally, I love the furry-footed blighters, so I figured I'd have a pop at creating a hobbit-specific class based (sort of) around their hole-dwelling habits. I did give them the standard missile attack & saves bonus, but I dropped the hide ability.

Barrow Touched Halfling is attached for your perusal/enjoyment/comment/sneering disgust.
Attachments
Barrow Touched 1.0.pdf
(41.18 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

merias
Site Admin

Re: Barrow Touched Halfling

Post by merias »

Very interesting class! This would make a good companion to any Elf in the party with the Elvish immunity to ghoul paralysis. I think it only needs some unique spell-like effects related to the underworld and undead (as opposed to just allowing the MU spells).

It's one of my peeves about core/complete that they kind of gloss over Halflings. The first edition of Core was pretty clear on Matt's opinion of them as a playable race:
if a player is willing to play a character race limited to fourth level, the GM might allow such an odd choice

JimboJimbo

Post by JimboJimbo »

Haha! Yes, it appears I've just re-invented the Classic elf class!

You're absolutely right about a dedicated spell list. I think I'll have scour through some later editions/supplememnts (BFRPG Necromancer class springs to mind) & put together a short list of 'spooky' spells.

I think I need to take a look at the XP table again, too. I forgot to account for the halfling save bonus (which could probably go) and the class-based save bonus (which should probably stay, but get a little nerf). Also, 15th level is too high. I'm loathe to drop it down to 4th, but 6th would make the already limited spell progression almost pointless.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look Merias.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

JimboJimbo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:55 am
I think I need to take a look at the XP table again, too. I forgot to account for the halfling save bonus (which could probably go) and the class-based save bonus (which should probably stay, but get a little nerf). Also, 15th level is too high. I'm loathe to drop it down to 4th, but 6th would make the already limited spell progression almost pointless.
Hm, what about 8th level as a sweet spot for halflings, same as in B/X?

JimboJimbo

Post by JimboJimbo »

Barrow Touched Halfling re-done.

I've dropped the Halfling abilities and kept the +2 class-based save & the immunity to level drain. Max level is now 8, as per Merias' wise suggestion. I've also ripped off the level 1&2 Necromancer spells from BFRPG (although I've re-written all of them and renamed most of them).

It feels more like some weird 3e era class than a S&W option, but I don't expect I'll ever use it.

Comments are always welcome.
Attachments
Barrow Touched 2.pdf
(121.84 KiB) Downloaded 104 times