New S&W Boxed Set - anyone get it?

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Complete - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
merias
Site Admin

Re: New S&W Boxed Set - anyone get it?

Post by merias »

rredmond wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:44 pm
Brave Halfling! Wow. Haven’t heard that name in years. I wonder what happened to John. I remember he had a crapton of bad luck. Hope he is okay. (Sorry for the threadjack!)
:) no worries. I'm not sure what happened - I haven't seen him online in years (I also have his Delving Deeper and X-plorers box sets).

William

Post by William »

Nakana wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 5:13 pm
The box set is the version of S&W I decided to get. Should be here Wednesday.
How is your boxed set? Have you used yet?
Swords & Wizardry....in Blackmoor!
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

Nakana

Post by Nakana »

William wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:15 pm
Nakana wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 5:13 pm
The box set is the version of S&W I decided to get. Should be here Wednesday.
How is your boxed set? Have you used yet?
I'm really glad I got it! I haven't had a chance to play the game yet, but I've been reading through the books. There is even room in the box to put my WB:FMAG book in it, so I've got a tidy little box for all my OSR stuff. :)

I will say this, many of the reviews mention how small the text is -- and they were right. It's readable, but pretty small. It's actually about the same size as the text in my 1e books, but the text in the 1e books is darker so the contrast makes for better readability.

I really like the digest size and separate books for different content. It's refreshing and less intimidating after years of huge tomes to be honest.

William

Post by William »

Nakana wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:48 am
I'm really glad I got it! I haven't had a chance to play the game yet, but I've been reading through the books. There is even room in the box to put my WB:FMAG book in it, so I've got a tidy little box for all my OSR stuff. :)

I will say this, many of the reviews mention how small the text is -- and they were right. It's readable, but pretty small. It's actually about the same size as the text in my 1e books, but the text in the 1e books is darker so the contrast makes for better readability.

I really like the digest size and separate books for different content. It's refreshing and less intimidating after years of huge tomes to be honest.
That box sounds handy!

Yeah I've heard people complain about the text size. I've also heard people complain about the text size in the new Complete Revised hardback as well, but I've never had any problems with that. The new hardbacks have got a slightly more "cartoony" art style than earlier S&W publications though, and I think that it's because Mythmere are trying to pull in some younger gamers, which I suppose is a sound move as long as they don't take the art style too far and make the presentation juvenile. I have no evidence of this though, it's just a suspicion.

The Frog God box set always looked gorgeous to me, and I sometimes wish that I would have bought a copy, but never mind as (as far as I'm aware) they've sold out by now.

Bill
Swords & Wizardry....in Blackmoor!
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft