Race as Class Dwarven Warrior revised

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Complete - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
cbarchuk

Race as Class Dwarven Warrior revised

Post by cbarchuk »

Hey Doug,

I'm making some tweaks to all the classes for my own personal house rules document. So I wanted to upload a few of them to get your feedback.

Here is my race as class Dwarven Warrior who has been slightly altered from the original. I'll up load a few others later today. Thanks again Doug as your feedback is very much appreciated. Cheers.

Chuck
Attachments
Swords & Wizardry Dwarven Warrior v.2.pdf
(208.32 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

merias
Site Admin

Re: Race as Class Dwarven Warrior revised

Post by merias »

Not sure I like the d10 HD on this one, with all the other special abilities Dwarves have, I would be hard-pressed to choose a human fighter, unless I really wanted the missile/STR bonus, even with the slightly increased XP requirements. So my STR roll might influence my choice. Still I'd stick with d8 for HD, then I think the demi-human abilities balance with the increased XP requirements and the lack of missile STR bonuses.

The wording here is not clear - "Dwarven Warriors can also take advantage of strength bonuses above 16." (I think you have wording like this in the fighter also). It should be something like "Dwarven Warriors can also take advantage of strength bonuses with a strength above 12", or "... a strength of 13 or higher."

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

No go on the d10. I initially had it at a d8 with slightly lower XP progression. I have another friend giving me feedback and he thought I should raise the XP requirements and add more abilities. I didn't really want to go overboard with that either.

The reason for the strength wording is I allow non-fighters to take advantage of strength bonuses up to 16 giving a +1 to hit & damage. Only Fighters, and Dwarves can take advantage of a 17 or 18 strength.

Anyways, only Fighters would get Cleave, Parry, and a Fighting Style. So I thought the d10 would give the Dwarf a little more oommph.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

cbarchuk wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:39 am
The reason for the strength wording is I allow non-fighters to take advantage of strength bonuses up to 16 giving a +1 to hit & damage. Only Fighters, and Dwarves can take advantage of a 17 or 18 strength.
Ah! I see now. I did not pick that up from the wording, so you may want to re-phrase it to make it more clear. Maybe like " Dwarven Warriors can also take advantage of the bonuses given with a strength of 17 or 18."

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

cbarchuk wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:39 am
No go on the d10. I initially had it at a d8 with slightly lower XP progression. I have another friend giving me feedback and he thought I should raise the XP requirements and add more abilities. I didn't really want to go overboard with that either.
Anyways, only Fighters would get Cleave, Parry, and a Fighting Style. So I thought the d10 would give the Dwarf a little more oommph.
Makes sense, I think I would still not give the d10, thinking the racial bonuses even out the fighting styles (darkvision is a huge advantage for low-level PCs). But try it and see how it works.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Great feedback. What do you think about giving them a simple +1 to their HD each level? So at level 1 the Dwarf would roll 1D8+1+Constitution bonus?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

cbarchuk wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:51 am
Great feedback. What do you think about giving them a simple +1 to their HD each level? So at level 1 the Dwarf would roll 1D8+1+Constitution bonus?
That seems a good compromise.