Who's in on the Upcoming KS?

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Complete - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
William

Re: Who's in on the Upcoming KS?

Post by William »

Yeah I've always wondered why S&W Complete didn't include the Illusionist. With Matt Finch (apparently) being a lawyer you would have thought that he would have managed to find a way round it with the OGL (and even more so now that S&W is out of the OGL). The omission of the Bard is also a mystery considering the fact that Old School Essentials has both.
I know what you mean about being underwhelmed. The thinness of the book is a bit at odds with the "Complete" part of the name, but I do like what is there. As it happens my copy of S&W Core is actually the same page count at 144 pages, but it's less economical with the amount of information put onto each page, making use of more space per page and possibly (?) more illustrations too.

Bill
Last edited by William on Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swords & Wizardry....in Blackmoor!
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

Persimmon

Post by Persimmon »

merias wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:58 pm
Agree, I like the few rules changes in the new edition, the presentation not so much. But the illusionist would be a welcome addition, it should have been in the rules to begin with. LL AEC has had the illusionist since its release, and there were no legal issues.
And if we could only convince Matt to put gnomes in, we'd be golden.
"Behind closed eyes, realize your sight."--Blue Oyster Cult

William

Post by William »

Yeah it would be a good move to have a chat with Matt about that one.
The Kickstarter for both the rules supplement AND the monster book (I'm not sure if it's two separate Kickstarters) begins early next year. I might have a chat with him again around that time, only this time about the inclusion of Gnomes.

Bill
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

Persimmon

Post by Persimmon »

William wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:21 pm
Yeah I've always wondered why S&W Complete didn't include the Illusionist. With Matt Finch (apparently) being a lawyer you would have thought that he would have managed to find a way round it with the OGL (and even more so now that S&W is out of the OGL). The omission of the Bard is also a mystery considering the fact that Old School Essentials has both.
I know what you mean about being underwhelmed. The thinness of the book is a bit at odds with the "Complete" part of the name, but I do like what is there. As it happens my copy of S&W Core is actually the same page count at 144 pages, but it's less economical with the amount of information put onto each page, making use of more space per page and possibly (?) more illustrations too.

Bill
Exactly. I'm pretty sure he cut images, of which there already weren't that many, in addition to compressing font sizes and squishing the columns together to make the extra content fit. For me, that just makes it less attractive and harder to read/use. Apparently going to 160 pages, which at one point I think Matt said they were doing, was deemed too expensive for the payoff. I do still have the pdf so I can consult for anything not in my older version.

William

Post by William »

I've heard from Matt Finch about the upcoming Kickstarters for the rules supplement and monsters book.

There will also be a couple of modules, but I don't have any details about them yet. Also, the launch will be somewhere between February and April, with late March being the most likely time. There may be delays though, as there often is with creative projects.
When I hear more I will post it. It will probably be a good idea to start a new thread when something more solid comes out of the Mythmere creative workshop.

Bill
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

Persimmon

Post by Persimmon »

William wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:48 pm
I've heard from Matt Finch about the upcoming Kickstarters for the rules supplement and monsters book.

There will also be a couple of modules, but I don't have any details about them yet. Also, the launch will be somewhere between February and April, with late March being the most likely time. There may be delays though, as there often is with creative projects.
When I hear more I will post it. It will probably be a good idea to start a new thread when something more solid comes out of the Mythmere creative workshop.

Bill
Nice; super interested in the rules supplement in particular, especially what classes and spells might be added. Not as jacked about the monster stuff since I already own all the Frog God monster books for S&W. Can't see Matt breaking much new ground there.

William

Post by William »

Yes I agree. Beyond the monster sections in rule books, or the Monster Manual in the case of AD&D, monster books are usually less inspiring. I have the AD&D MM2 but it's not as good as the MM (though the cover is more to my personal taste). I've never bothered with the Fiend Folio as in my opinion the best stuff in it all appeared in modules anyway, and I own the modules that the good stuff is in (Descent into the depths of the Earth; Queen of Spiders; etc).

If it's not an extortionate amount of money I will probably buy it to support Matt, and also to turn it into a trio with Complete Revised and the rules supplement (whatever it's going to be called). Kind of like an AD&D core rule book "lite". I also suppose it's good to support Matt and Mythmere in their endeavor of keeping OD&D alive in some kind of way.

Bill
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

Persimmon

Post by Persimmon »

I can appreciate the trio of books as being a sort of throwback, but I'm a real sucker for EVERYTHING in just one book, even if that book is massive.

For example, I love the Hyperborea RPG, but IMO 2nd edition is far superior to 3rd in part because it's one book rather than 2 (plus that gazetteer). I also didn't like some of the art and other tweaks in 3e.

It's also why I'm a little bummed that in the upcoming release of his Dragonslayer RPG Greg Gillespie decided not to include monsters from his Megadungeon Monster Manual. He promised the whole game in one book and has said he hates splat books. Technically I suppose, the monster book is not a splat book and there are monsters in the core book. But still. He could have had an omnibus option that would have given us one chunky tome of goodness. Look how long those S&W monster books are.

So looking down the road, Matt, keep this in mind.

William

Post by William »

I don't know exactly where to put this and I don't think that it deserves a fresh thread/ discussion either. If anyone thinks that it should go elsewhere then let me know.

Mythmere have released a new supplement for Swords & Wizardry, and it's called "City Encounters". So far I've taken a look at the preview and it's full of NPCs for - you guessed it - city encounters. It's available as both a PDF and a softcover book, plus there's an option for getting the book with a free PDF too! It's available on drivethrurpg now! I haven't bought it yet as I've just spent my monthly gaming budget, but I may very well buy it next month.

Bill
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft