The Book of Options is here - who's in on the KS?

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Complete - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
William

The Book of Options is here - who's in on the KS?

Post by William »

I've had word through from Mythmere Games. There are a number of new products coming out via a Kickstarter which launches on April the 9th, including (as already mentioned on another thread) a rules supplement with new character classes. If you go onto the Kickstarter website you can opt in to be notified about it all!
Here's what there is:

1) Book of Options (new character classes; spells & magic items; encounter tables; revised old school primer; tables for multi-class characters).

2) Fiends & Foes (new monsters).

3) A Referee's Screen.

4) One new adventure - Domain of Heryngard, and one re-released and revised adventure - Tomb of the Iron God.

The presentation is much the same as the green / blue logo book, including interior art by many of the same artists. I think that they are doing this new look to try and appeal to younger gamers, but don't quote me on that - it's just a suspicion.

Bill
Swords & Wizardry....in Blackmoor!
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

William

Re: The Book of Options is here - who's in on the KS?

Post by William »

As a reply to my own thread starter (LOL) and to let others know (as I didn't put it on my previous post), I'm thinking of backing both of the books and the referee's screen.
I've got no current need for the adventures as I'm currently running my Blackmoor campaign, plus I have adventures I still haven't run from all of the campaign settings that I am interested in.
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

The book of options sounds neat, but monsters/adventures I have plenty of (including the original Tomb of the Iron God). I have the old S&W Complete ref screen from years ago, but it was not designed well as far as useful content (it is very sturdy, however, and makes a good screen if you clip your own charts to it). So I'll probably pass on the kickstarter and just pick up the book of options when it comes out in PDF.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

I’ve seen the KS and it does interest me, but I’ve held off for now, I spent a lot on Kickstarters over the past year, so I’m trying to be more selective. So far that’s not working, but I’m trying.

Persimmon

Post by Persimmon »

I went all-in, as usual. Most excited for The Book of Options, the utterly bland title notwithstanding. I mean couldn't they have come up with something better like, Secrets of Lost Lemuria? Even though I have all the Frog God monster books for S&W, I ordered the new one as Matt said there would be around 40-50 totally new creatures in in. Likewise, the new screen will incorporate the stuff for the new character classes, so that sounds good. Adventures are always welcome.

The thing is, we finished a Swords & Wizardry campaign back in January and are currently running DCC anyhow. And I'm in an online Castles & Crusades game. But I've been wanting to run the City of Brass campaign/adventure path for quite some time so I think I'll wait for the Book of Options and we'll put together a party to do that next year.
"Behind closed eyes, realize your sight."--Blue Oyster Cult

William

Post by William »

Persimmon wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:47 pm
I went all-in, as usual. Most excited for The Book of Options, the utterly bland title notwithstanding. I mean couldn't they have come up with something better like, Secrets of Lost Lemuria? Even though I have all the Frog God monster books for S&W, I ordered the new one as Matt said there would be around 40-50 totally new creatures in in.
Yes I agree, it is a little bit of a bland title, though I have definitely seen worse titles within the OSR scene.
Apparently the monsters book will update all the entries to include stuff from the new Complete rule book, e.g. rules for morale, etc.

I haven't put any money down yet, as the stuff will eventually be delivered to the UK warehouse which will drastically reduce shipping costs. Also, they already have way more money than what they need in order to get the project off the ground, so I am in two minds whether or not to bother until they have shipped the stuff over here. I might lay down money yet, I just haven't made up my mind.
It's nice to see that S&W is getting bigger. With that big of a number reached so early on in the fundraising campaign it looks promising for the future of S&W. It would be great to see S&W in brick and mortar gaming stores. This shouldn't be an unachievable goal - Old School Essentials is making its UK game store debut over the next couple of weeks, so hopefully S&W will be joining it soon! :)

Bill
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft