Labyrinth Lord Revised and Expanded Edition Draft

A forum for discussion of Goblinoid Games' classic B/X retro-clone Labyrinth Lord.
merias
Site Admin

Labyrinth Lord Revised and Expanded Edition Draft

Post by merias »

From https://smolderingwizard.wordpress.com/ ... ion-draft/

Dan Proctor of Goblinoid Games has released a draft version of the Labyrinth Lord Revised and Expanded Edition for comments, along with a new character sheet by James West. This is great to see finally – I know Dan has been working on this for a long time. It’s nice to see some long-standing departures from the Basic rules have been corrected, like the Charisma table, and allowing Dwarves to use battle axes and war hammers. That said, in the preface, Dan says:
I see Labyrinth Lord as picking up the B/X torch and continuing it’s growth, not pinning it down like a dusty butterfly collection. Together we will answer the question of what might have happened if B/X grew organically on its own. So that’s where Labyrinth Lord is going. Making it a “true” clone today would be going backwards. Labyrinth Lord continues forward to grow and be more than “only” B/X, as it’s always been anyway.
With that in mind, ascending AC is now an option, and there are two new classes, the Cyclops and Brownie. There is a mini-campaign setting, “The Village of Kassel”, which has a unique “three worlds” theme. There is a new map of the Known Lands by Dyson Logos, along with lots of new artwork.

William

Re: Labyrinth Lord Revised and Expanded Edition Draft

Post by William »

Thanks for posting the draft version I'm currently giving it a skim.

I wish the best of luck to Dan and the Goblinoid crew, but just how well this does in the currently overcrowded B/X marketplace we'll have to wait and see (I know that LL has moved forward from its B/X roots, but it will always carry an LL clone reputation). Its reputation as one of the first B/X clones might help save the day though, plus the fact that it has started developing an identity that's a bit more idiosyncratic might help too.

Optional Ascending Armour Class is obviously a good idea, plus a campaign setting too. I guess now they just need some new adventures.

Is the Known Lands new or has LL always had this campaign setting (I've never played LL I've just looked at the rules)?

Bill
Swords & Wizardry....in Blackmoor!
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

badams30

Post by badams30 »

William wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:36 pm
Thanks for posting the draft version I'm currently giving it a skim.

I wish the best of luck to Dan and the Goblinoid crew, but just how well this does in the currently overcrowded B/X marketplace we'll have to wait and see (I know that LL has moved forward from its B/X roots, but it will always carry an LL clone reputation). Its reputation as one of the first B/X clones might help save the day though, plus the fact that it has started developing an identity that's a bit more idiosyncratic might help too.

Optional Ascending Armour Class is obviously a good idea, plus a campaign setting too. I guess now they just need some new adventures.

Is the Known Lands new or has LL always had this campaign setting (I've never played LL I've just looked at the rules)?

Bill
LL is what got me back into gaming, and the old Goblinoid Games forums got me in to PbP, so there's definitely a soft spot in my heart for LL. I'll be taking a peek at it over the weekend, but my only roadblock at the moment is that I am kind of at a saturation level for OSR stuff. I have and/or am playing S&W, FMAG, BFRPG, B/X, and I spent a bit on Shadowdark and OSE (and toss Pits & Perils in there too) so I'm a bit stretched, and at least to my overly simple self, the differences in each system are minor so I'm not super keen on getting something new right now. BUUUUUUUT knowing my lack of self control, I'll end up getting it.

As for the Known Lands, yup - it's been around a while, and there are quite a few things out there for it. I played in a couple long-running PbP campaigns set there, and it wasn't too bad of a setting. I don't know if anything has been done fairly recently for it, but maybe and I just haven't heard.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Known Lands - nothing knew that I saw, apart from the new Dyson Logos map. But Pete Spahn has released some great resources/adventures for the Known Lands over the years, so there is tons of material out there.

As for LL itself - the really new stuff is in the new classes of Brownie and Cyclops. Most everything else is either from the original version, or adding things like AAC that are not really new for a B/X-type game.

I do like that Dan releases (no-art) versions of his rulebooks for free, I think that helped a lot getting buy-in from players in the early OSR days. I hope the S&W Complete revised becomes free at some point, like the older versions are.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I notice as of two days ago, Dan has a new draft revision of LL up for comments.

DacholaEtecoon

Post by DacholaEtecoon »

I like what I see so far. I am glad progress is being made.

William

Post by William »

DacholaEtecoon wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 8:14 pm
I like what I see so far. I am glad progress is being made.
Yeah the new Labyrinth Lord looks good. The addition of a contents page to the second draft is a big help (LOL).
Swords & Wizardry....in Blackmoor!
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft