CHAT!

Hybrid of Moldvay B/X & Old School Essentials (OSE)

Moderator: badams30

badams30

CHAT!

Post by badams30 »

I'm in the middle of updating the locations and keying them to the map, so I'm hoping to have them posted in the next day or two. I'm starting out with some basic details of the area, but most detail in the Fair Bluff area where you'll be starting (HEX 10,10) Once you have characters posted and a one sentence background, I'll give each player some addtl backstories, rumors or some starting nuggets. I'll also be updating the campaign info thread with some really basic background and flavor of the area.
As listed in the campaign info thread, we're using the Moldvay B/X rules and OSE rules. Both are avail in free formats, if you don't have them or can't locate, let me know and I'll give you one of the free copies.

I'm fairly new to the Old School Essentials rules (OSE) but they are pretty much the same B/X rules lightly massaged and in a pretty format. There are some slight differences, I think I've mentioned them in the description, but I may have missed a couple things - if this is the case, please let me know of any discrepancies and we can breeze through them. In keeping with the spirit of B/X & OSE, I want this to be a rules-lite campaign.

badams30

Re: CHAT!

Post by badams30 »

We've got two characters for the time being, I'll post some intro stuff this weekend, and others can join us in progress. I've built this mess as an easy to join on the fly campaign. Prepare for PMs on starting status.

herself

Post by herself »

Hi everyone, thanks for letting me join. Just whipping up a character as we speak... the party looked like they could use a magic user, so (gulp) I've rolled one up! Will be interesting to see how long she lasts, hehe.

@badams30 how would you like to handle my starting spells? Would you like to choose or roll for one, or shall I?

badams30

Post by badams30 »

herself wrote:Hi everyone, thanks for letting me join. Just whipping up a character as we speak... the party looked like they could use a magic user, so (gulp) I've rolled one up! Will be interesting to see how long she lasts, hehe.

@badams30 how would you like to handle my starting spells? Would you like to choose or roll for one, or shall I?

I'll send you an email with some background and how we'll do spells (probably early tomorrow) Thanks again for joining!

herself

Post by herself »

badams30 wrote:
herself wrote:Hi everyone, thanks for letting me join. Just whipping up a character as we speak... the party looked like they could use a magic user, so (gulp) I've rolled one up! Will be interesting to see how long she lasts, hehe.

I'll send you an email with some background and how we'll do spells (probably early tomorrow) Thanks again for joining!
Sounds great! Thanks :)

badams30

Post by badams30 »

OKAY - I think we're basically ready to go.

Steve and Rik should be joining us in the near future. Herself is going to post her character shortly. We have THREE ready to go. Make sure you note any special items you are starting with and finalize your sheets.

Can't remember if I addressed this earlier, but I don't like using die rollers. I'm equally fine with letting you make your rolls, or I can make them. What is your preference? I've gamed with GMs who are DRACONIAN in enforcing rolls, using die rollers and auditing the results, but we're just here to have fun, so I have no desire to do that. By a show of hands, which method do you prefer?

If you choose to roll your own, lets do this: You can specify in a round, IF THIS HAPPENS, I DO THIS, or IF THIS HAPPENS, I ATTACK - and you can roll an attack roll, and unless it's just awful, go ahead and roll for DMG as well. That would make it move quicker.

Also, if I didn't specify it clearly enough, this is a sandbox. I've got a bunch of ideas, notes and adventure threads I'm sitting on. You can do whatever. If you go a bit off script, it's all good - I'll adjust. Full transparency: I like to keep PbP adventures fairly short, as I've found that megadungeons and sweeping adventures seem to peter out after a while. Not saying we won't go on a big lollapalooza, but I tend to keep it moving by adventures smaller in scope.

Finally, I've been playing since I was about 10 (and as my kids love to remind me, I'm an old man at 48 now) but I'm no expert. I do this to escape from my day to day, and I'm not a perfect GM. If you have a suggestion, complaint, or whatever, just shoot it at me. I'm a thick skinned, fun loving guy. I've heard it all and I appreciate constructive criticism.

Okay... everyone ready?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

I'm ready! 8-)

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Ready! We can try rolling the dice if you like, as you say I think that only works if the players give all the possibly needed rolls in one go, even if they might not be needed, like to-hit and damage all at once. Otherwise things bog down too much.

One question - I see have "Halflings get a +4 save versus magic." in the race special abilities, I think this is already baked into the B/X saving throw tables for Halflings? Not that I wouldn't also like a +4 on top of that... :lol:

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Yikes, I didn't realize the save bonus had been included in the charts already, nice catch. I was using the race/class summaries from OSE when I typed it out, so it listed the +4. Thanks for clarifying. Yeaaah I think we'll just use the table.

Shifty halflings. Always trying to get over....

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

I really like rolling physical dice instead of pushing a button...but that being said, I am willing to let the DM roll for me. It may tend to bog things down otherwise.