50th Anniversary of D&D

A parent forum for communities of specific S&W-based games, each game will have a sub-forum here.
Persimmon

50th Anniversary of D&D

Post by Persimmon »

With this being the 50th anniversary of D&D I'm hoping to get a bit more S&W in this year. We started this week with our high level party going throughThe Black Monastery. So far, pretty fun. They went in through a rear gate, cleared a quadrant out on the main level, then went through two dungeon levels in just under three hours! Amazing how fast S&W runs with experienced players and powerful characters.

In addition to this, I'm hoping to run a group of newbies through the updated version of The Dark Tower.

So any fun plans for your S&W games this year?
"Behind closed eyes, realize your sight."--Blue Oyster Cult

badams30

Re: 50th Anniversary of D&D

Post by badams30 »

That sounds like fun. Aside from play by post, I don't have a live or virtual game going on, but I'm hoping to get in another pBp game, or find something that works with my schedule.
As for systems, I'm hoping to do more with FMAG, S&W, and going to take a stab at Shadowdark. I'm quite interested in it.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I'm going to continue my S&W PbP here, and I want to play some white box with my online group - I actually haven't run WB in a while and am missing it's simplicity. The Gatehouse on Cormac's Crag by David Bezio is on my list to run.

William

Post by William »

My new Blackmoor campaign starts later this month, which as far as I'm aware is the very same month that OD&D was released (please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware the first white box was released in the January of 1974?).

We (me and my gaming group) are working our way through a series of setting generic adventures that I have culled from the pages of Dungeon and (especially) Dragon (which nearly always had higher quality adventures IMO) magazines, plus a selection of different setting generic modules, all of which I have chopped and changed to fit in with Blackmoor. This is topped off with some stuff of my own, and it reaches a climax with Dave Arneson's classic "Temple of the Frog" (hopefully at least some of the PCs will survive to that point!).

I've considered doing something with "The Black Monastery", as it looks good from what I have seen of it (although to date I have only skimmed through it). I'm not too sure that it would fit in with Blackmoor, but some other time and place perhaps?. Nice to find out that it plays well.
Persimmon wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:32 pm

In addition to this, I'm hoping to run a group of newbies through the updated version of The Dark Tower.
What's "The Dark Tower"? :?: Is it something for Swords & Wizardry or is it some kind of Stephen King adaption? :?:

Bill
Swords & Wizardry....in Blackmoor!
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

badams30 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:49 pm
That sounds like fun. Aside from play by post, I don't have a live or virtual game going on, but I'm hoping to get in another pBp game, or find something that works with my schedule.
As for systems, I'm hoping to do more with FMAG, S&W, and going to take a stab at Shadowdark. I'm quite interested in it.
Now that my Shadowdark books have come in, I'm hoping to play it as well in the new year!

Also, I'll be continuing my VTT games using Cairn rpg rules.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

merias wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:48 am
I'm going to continue my S&W PbP here, and I want to play some white box with my online group - I actually haven't run WB in a while and am missing it's simplicity. The Gatehouse on Cormac's Crag by David Bezio is on my list to run.
I’ve heard that Cormacs Crag is pretty good. If you pbp it you onow who to call….

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Persimmon wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:32 pm
William wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:54 am
What's "The Dark Tower"? :?: Is it something for Swords & Wizardry or is it some kind of Stephen King adaption? :?:
There was a Judges Guild adventure written in 1979 for AD&D called Dark Tower. That was for high-level PCs, however, and I have not heard of an update. I'm curious as well!

Persimmon

Post by Persimmon »

Goodman Games, working with Jennell (nee Paul) Jaquays, is releasing an expanded version of "Dark Tower" this year for DCC. But they're including a reprint of the original adventure in the multi-volume boxed set. So I'll just convert the new material over to S&W and use the original material as is. Seems fitting.
"Behind closed eyes, realize your sight."--Blue Oyster Cult

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Jennell passed away this morning sadly. I think she'd been sick for bit. :(
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 4/16/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

badams30

Post by badams30 »

rredmond wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:26 pm
Jennell passed away this morning sadly. I think she'd been sick for bit. :(
Guillen Barre (not sure if I spelled it right). She’d been in the hospital since late Oct. she sure put up a fight.