Delve #3

Old dungeon delves will go here.

Moderator: merias

jcftao

Re: Delve #3

Post by jcftao »

"Strike at me, demon!" yells Cedric as he slashes at the now darkened fiend!

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

"Ware the holy flames!" Schmidt will yell before belching forth fire and ruin! (Hopefully distracting the demon and warning the others.)
Picture1.png
Plan is to quickly sweep from Schmidt's left, toward the center of the circle of dark. Trying to crisp the demon, and not catch anyone else in friendly fire.
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 4/16/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Berthold stays clear if the darkness, slipping along the wall towards the north door. He has his sword at the ready, saying, I’m not sure normal weapons will harm it. I hope your magical breath will.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I'll say that potion effects are treated like spells, in that you drink them one round and they take effect first in the next round.

Barely able to hold in a belch, Schmidt lets loose and a gout of fire shoots from his open mouth. It reaches across the room and is 20' wide at its apex, and although Schmidt tries to aim it to his left and sweep, he can't see all that well with a face full of flame and he's not sure at first if it had the intended effect.

That's a clever tactic to sweep from the left with the fire breath, but given its reach and uncontrolled nature, it might still hit one one or both of Cedric and Jingle. I think what would be fair is if their saving throws resulted in either half or no damage for them, instead of the usual full or half damage. The demon gets a normal save as this is a full blast from magical fire and it is not immune to it. See spoiler below for details.

Berthod can feel the heat of the flames as he moves towards the exit, and for a moment he can see the magical fire cut into the darkness and briefly illuminate the demon, who is poised to strike Jingle, and Cedric, who is standing at the demon's flank. Then the flame engulfs his view...

Cedric sees a flash of light and flame, and is just able to leap aside as the jet of flame strikes the demon and Jingle.

Jingle bravely faces the demon and the darkness, which is briefly lifted and the last thing he sees is the demon about to strike him, then exploding in a spray of ash and flame. It is very, very hot...

When it clears the darkness is gone, and so are the demon and poor Jingle, who is probably represented in the small pile of ash on the floor. The smell of sulfur lingers.

The demon and Jingle are gone!
The potion effects are gone, it was a one-time use, 6d6 fire blast.

Actions?

Code: Select all

+-----------+---------+
|Name       |HP       |
+-----------+---------+
|Jingle     |-10/3 RIP|
+-----------+---------+
|Schmidt    |12/12    |
+-----------+---------+
|Cedric     |8/8      |
+-----------+---------+
|Berthod    |8/8      |
+-----------+---------+
|Heimer     |6/6      |
+-----------+---------+
Mechanics:

Round 2:

6d6 fire blast = 26 dmg, or 13 dmg with a save of d20 = 4 FAIL so the demon takes the full 26 dmg! That, coupled with the other weapon damage sends it back to the hells.
Jingle d20 save vs. the fire = 8 FAIL for 13 dmg...now Jingle gets a save vs death: d20-1 = 13 FAIL (needs 15) - Jingle is a pile of ash!
Cedric d20 save = 18 SAVES for no damage.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

"Holy Hell!" curses Cedric, "That didn't go so well. I'll miss the little fellow...Schmidt didn't...but I will."

Cedric scoops up the pile of Jingle ashes and puts them in his belt pouch.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Berthold says something about the dangers of magic and how we should bury the ashes. His voice cracks as he does so…

Should we go on, or back to town for us?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Cedric wipes away a tear, "I think Jingle would want us to continue in his absence. In fact, I believe he mentioned if something unfortunate happened to him, Berthod should take his place in scouting out the dungeon."

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

You sweep up what is left of Jingle and head back to town. Continued in the delve #3 aftermath.