Delve #3

Old dungeon delves will go here.

Moderator: merias

merias
Site Admin

Re: Delve #3

Post by merias »

The demon pauses, glancing at and then ignoring Schmidt's holy symbols, which is just long enough for Jingle to break from his trance and make his demand. Berthod sheathes his sword and readies his bow, but does not fire an arrow just yet. Cedric starts to run towards Jingle, but stops short when he hears Jingle speak. Heimer stands near and a little in front of Schmidt, sword ready.

The demon replies. "You have summoned me without any wards or guards. A powerful mage perhaps, yet I do not feel bound to you, curious."

[2d6 reaction, with no modifier as Jingle has an entirely average CHA = 4 hostile, the demon has a DEX of 3d6 = 13]

The demon advances towards Jingle, sniffing the air as he does so and crossing the circle. "Foolish mage! I shall rend your flesh and carry your soul back to the hells!", it snarls, and begins to utter what sounds like gibberish, although Jingle recognizes it as a spell of some sort...

[Order of actions is Cedric, Berthod/demon (simultaneous with each other), Jingle, Heimer, Schmidt]

Actions?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Cedric strikes the foul creature with his bastard sword! "Back to hell, where you belong!"

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Berthold fires.

Anyone got a protection from evil scroll? Otherwise I’ll start rolling up a new character…

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Nope, only got the protection from undead scroll. I think it's time to try the potion, though fire versus demons... I'm guessing it won't have great effect. Maybe it'll give us time to run? :D

Half-expecting this non-response from the demon, Schmidt quickly gulps down his anxiety, suggests Heimer to "throw your spear and get through the door" then gulps down Pox's Philtre of Fire Breath!
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 4/16/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Cedric's bastard sword is his protection from evil.

JimboJimbo

Post by JimboJimbo »

Beads of egg nog sweat glistening from his brow, Jngle reaches for his scroll of magic missile, ready to unleash a stream of terrible tinsel on the demon!

Damn, wrong character. No scroll of MM.

Jingle reaches for his shivs and tries to maintain his bladder control.

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Not gonna lie, I got excited when I saw this post. Before you edited it. :lol:
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 4/16/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

JimboJimbo

Post by JimboJimbo »

rredmond wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:16 am
Not gonna lie, I got excited when I saw this post. Before you edited it. :lol:
Yeah, sorry about that.

Still, looks like I'm good for keeping up my death to dungeon ratio :lol:

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

[Order of actions is Cedric, Berthod/demon (simultaneous with each other), Jingle, Heimer, Schmidt]

Cedric charges, slicing across the demon's chest with his bastard sword. Berthod looses two magic arrows and one strikes true, sticking into the demon's shoulder. Black ichor oozes from the wounds.

At the same time as Berthod's arrow strikes, the center of the room, which includes the demon, Cedric and Jingle, is suddenly shrouded in a sphere of darkness.

[ref note: darkness is an at-will ability for the demon, not a true spell, so it can't be interrupted by attacks - also why it did not take effect first as a spell would have]

Jingle can smell the demon is close - he jabs and slices his shiv in front of him, but is not able to strike the demon while standing in the pitch darkness.

Heimer launches his spear into the darkness, where he thinks the demon is, but hears it clatter along the floor. He turns and flees north, out the door, as Schmidt instructed.

Schmidt digs out his potion and quaffs it. The liquid burns as it goes down and he immediately feels the urge to belch [next round he can breathe fire].

The demon, Cedric and Jingle are shrouded in a magical darkness.
The demon is wounded.

Actions?

Code: Select all

+-----------+---------+
|Name       |HP       |
+-----------+---------+
|Jingle     |3/3      |
+-----------+---------+
|Schmidt    |12/12    |
+-----------+---------+
|Cedric     |8/8      |
+-----------+---------+
|Berthod    |8/8      |
+-----------+---------+
|Heimer     |6/6      |
+-----------+---------+
Mechanics:

Round 1:

Cedric vs. demon: bastard sword, 2-handed d20+2 = 22 HIT for max damage of d8+2 = 10 dmg
Berthod vs. Demon: short bow, +1 arrows d20+4 (x2)= 7,16 1 arrow HIT for d6+1 = 4 dmg
Demon "casts" darkness
Jingle shiv vs. demon d20-5 = 3 MISS
Heimer thrown spear vs. demon: d20-4 = 14 MISS
Schmidt quaffs potion

JimboJimbo

Post by JimboJimbo »

Slay boys, when I sing
Please listen
Run. Get out of here.
Make it a quicken
I'll take it in this spooky shadow land!

Jingle sings, body popping a kata of knife slashes as the smelly demon.