Delve #6 Aftermath

Old dungeon delves will go here.

Moderator: merias

rredmond

Re: Delve #6 Aftermath

Post by rredmond »

As long as there is no PvP issues, I'm cool with whatever classes!

Ever since learning about it (through Holmes I think??) I've never been a fan of DEX based initiative, so even before Schmidt! :) I like the randomness of who might go first based on the die roll. Though in my 1e Skype game, I have DEX affect initiative - I use an individual d10 roll (GASP! say it isn't so Grognard!), adjusted by DEX and (less so) by weapon damage. I think it's 2e or 5e based, but I learned it gaming with Andreas Clarens (Sir_Clarence) the Arden Vul cartographer. The further from 1e the game gets, the dumber I am about it! :D

TL:DR - I'm cool with however you want to go with initiative!
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 4/16/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

rredmond wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:01 pm
As long as there is no PvP issues, I'm cool with whatever classes!

Ever since learning about it (through Holmes I think??) I've never been a fan of DEX based initiative, so even before Schmidt! :) I like the randomness of who might go first based on the die roll. Though in my 1e Skype game, I have DEX affect initiative - I use an individual d10 roll (GASP! say it isn't so Grognard!), adjusted by DEX and (less so) by weapon damage. I think it's 2e or 5e based, but I learned it gaming with Andreas Clarens (Sir_Clarence) the Arden Vul cartographer. The further from 1e the game gets, the dumber I am about it! :D

TL:DR - I'm cool with however you want to go with initiative!
PvP is a no-go in my games also. I'm ok with thieves skimming off of a treasure hoard if they think they can get away with it, but nothing more adversarial than that.

Individual d10 init! Heresy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

merias wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:26 pm
Individual d10 init! Heresy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't tell the guys over at the Knights & Knaves Alehouse! :mrgreen:

It actually works well to keep everyone involved and keep the game moving. It's funny too, because I'm a very stripped down 1e DM, rulings over rules and all that. The less rules I have the happier I am. Key, especially with a crew of 7 players, on Skype is to keep the flow, keep the game moving!
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/3
Hold Person — 1/1

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I can see it working well if you start by asking the table "Who is higher than 10?" and just count down from there. And the VTTs all have initiative trackers now anyway, so it's not much slower than side-based init.

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

merias wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:58 pm
And the VTTs all have initiative trackers now anyway, so it's not much slower than side-based init.
Ah you over estimate the computer abilities and capabilities of my friends. 2 don't have good computers and 2 aren't tech savvy. 1 of those two is both! I tried using Roll20 just for the map - computers went down! I used the Skype comment comments function to share maps and images, the one guy who's computer sucks, and who's 13yo has to help him log in, his whole system shut down :crazy: He has to log on at least 30 minutes before the game, because if there are Skype updates, that's about how long it would take his laptop to download them :lol:
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/3
Hold Person — 1/1

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

merias wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:58 pm
"Who is higher than 10?"
I actually use Excel spreadsheets to track initiative, HPs, AC and TH numbers. For the party and the monsters. It's a great way to go through modules and see how factions of monsters might interact or not.
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/3
Hold Person — 1/1

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Berthod will take the sword, then.

I will gladly roll up a second character as a mage to die horribly in the first encounter.

I kind of liked the dex initiative, although it did make things tough at times. It was different and totally in line with the Original Game. Party initiative as described is fine with me, though.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

I played in a game where the DM thought PvP was funny and one of his best friends was a chaotic neutral thief (“but my character would do that!”). Game did not last long.

If we’re going to use different dice for initiative, might I suggest the humble d12? It rarely gets used and it’s a fun die.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I updated the main loot post above with the assignments so far.

Maybe Salty and Twig can each grab a silver dagger? Do you want me to roll for the dust of concealing to go to one of them?

I wasn't planning on using different init dice - since it's not individual, but still d12 is nice as it would mean fewer re-rolls from ties.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

greyarea wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:14 pm
I kind of liked the dex initiative, although it did make things tough at times. It was different and totally in line with the Original Game.
It's funny that if you read 1974 OD&D plus the OD&D FAQ Gary wrote, you definitely come away with the idea that DEX is important for initiative, and so it made sense that Holmes picked it up. But by all accounts those original groups never did DEX-based initiative in actual play (not Gary's groups anyway). The B/X method of making individual init (modified by DEX) an optional rule is a good idea IMO. You can do side-based init routinely, and save individual init for the important combats.