Old dungeon delves will go here.

Moderator: merias

merias
Site Admin

Re: To the Ravenwood - Delve #1

Post by merias »

Magremore wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:36 am
In this situation would you allow Bel'xor to stand ready with his bow and shoot from the second rank before melee? Seen it ruled both ways. Either way, Bel'xor will stand ready behind Wennic, with bow if that's possible; or if not, with spear to potentially attack from second rank with that.
Yes, I would allow a first shot with a bow from the second rank before melee (I'd just assume the front rank would kneel or move to the side briefly).

However, in this case you'll be backed into the door around a corner, and will only have a very small window for a clear shot of any creatures as they pass by your hiding spot. Not that you can't shoot - but you'll just have to wait until the creatures are on top of you, and no one else could act first.

Guthry would probably stay in the eastern corridor, since he was there anyway when Phelim heard the noises up north, and Velas would join him there, so that frees up a bit of space in the little area by the door. Here is what it looks like now, let me know if this changes any of your actions:

Magremore

Post by Magremore »

Thanks. Sorry for my dithering on this!! If we are split into both sides as shown, 3 x 3 makes sense, so I'd like to do that...

Bel'xor will stay on the east side with battle axe and wait for the ambush. Wennic will stand with Phelim and Holy Schmidt on the west side.

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Appreciate the dithering, especially if it will keep us alive!
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 4/16/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

You split into two groups - Velas, Guthry and Bel'xor to the east, and Phelim, Schmidt and Wennic to the west. You can hear the creature's voices as they approach from the north, and a new sound - a low growl. They are not using a light, so you can't see any details, and they are almost at your location when the growling gets louder. The group of creatures (maybe 3 or 4 of them you guess) stops and is arguing about something, they are just 10 feet to the north of you!

Actions? The creatures are within melee range at this point if you would like to charge, if you did so I assume Guthry would un-shutter his lantern at the same time. Or you can choose to wait, or something else perhaps?

Magremore

Post by Magremore »

I certainly welcome Attronarch and RRedmond to jump in and correct me if what I am about to say is off, but... I think we want to let them come down as much as we can, and then engage first from us on the east side, to draw their attention this way and allow the half of the party in the west corridor a chance, hopefully, to get them from behind.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

With a touch from Bel'xor, Guthry un-shutters his lantern. Bel'xor, Wennic, Velas and Schmidt rush into the now illuminated hallway - Wennic just behind the other three, spear in hand.

Just ahead you can see four humanoid creatures with disfigured faces, pointed ears and crooked fangs. They wear leather armor and hold two swords each. Three are facing you, one behind with a large wolf on a chain. The wolf's hair bristles as he growls and strains at his chain. The creatures seem surprised as you crash into them. Guthry looks on, holding his spell in reserve for now, and Phelim waits for a chance to sneak out behind the melee.

Phelim will need to wait for the melee to move south past him so he can slip in behind the creatures, I'l assume you are slowly moving that way as a group since you said it was your intent to have Phelim backstab, so it will take one full combat round for Phelim to be in position.

Also, I'm allowing 3 abreast in the corridor - with the ceiling space, the axe and flail can be used for overhead strikes. Wennic is in the second rank with his spear.

Bel'xor wields his axe with precision, beheading two creatures before they can act! Schmidt, Wennic and Velas gravely wound another of the creatures. The creature in back with the wolf barks some commands and moves forward with his wolf, letting it loose. The wounded creature wields his two weapons expertly, cutting Schmidt. The other creature guts Velas and he falls. The wolf lunges at Schmidt, but he somehow avoids a bite.

Next round, Phelim will be in position to backstab - is he targeting one of the creatures or the wolf? Actions?

One creature is gravely wounded
One creature and his wolf are unharmed
Schmidt is wounded
Velas is dead!

Code: Select all

+----------+----------+
|Name      |HP        |
+----------+----------+
|Wennic    |3/3       |
+----------+----------+
|Bel'xor   |9/9       |
+----------+----------+
|Phelim    |4/4       |
+----------+----------+
|Guthry    |5/5       |
+----------+----------+
|Schmidt   |2/6       |
+----------+----------+
|Velas     |RIP       |
+----------+----------+
Mechanics:

The creatures are on high alert as the wolf picked up your scent, so I'll say they will only be surprised on a 1 in 6 - d6 = 1 they are surprised!

Surprise round:

Bel'xor battle axe d20+2 = 18+2 = 20 HIT for d8+1 = 8+1 = 9 dmg, decapitating one creature.
Schmidt flail d20 = 14 HIT for d8 = 2 dmg wounding another creature.
Velas short sword d20 = 15 HIT for d6 = 5 dmg wounding the same creature.
Wennic spear d20 = 18 HIT for d6+1 = 1+1 = 2 dmg gravely wounding the same creature.

Wow the dice are with you this round!

First combat round

Initiative is by DEX - creatures have a 10 DEX, wolf has a 6 (both rolled on the spot). So the order is - Bel'xor, Velas, Creatures, Wennic, Schmidt, Wolf.

The creatures have lost half of their force, so we will check morale: 2d6 = 3 they fight on!

Bel'xor d20 = 10+2 = 12 HIT for d8 = 8 + 1 = 9 damage - his axe sends another head flying!
Velas d20 = 6 MISS
The wounded creature attacks (d6 = 4) Schmidt, d20+1 = 14+1 = 15 HIT for d8 = 4 damage! Schmidt is wounded!
The other creature attacks (d6 = 5) Velas, d20 = 17+1 = 18 HIT, d8 = 8 dmg. Velas is killed!
Wennic d20 = 8 MISS
Schmidt d20 = 5 MISS
The wolf attacks (d6 = 3) Schmidt, d20 = 7 MISS

Attronarch

Post by Attronarch »

Phelim will try to backstab the commanding creature, if possible at all. Otherwise he will prioritise creature. Wolf would be his last option.

Magremore

Post by Magremore »

Bel'xor and Wennic press the attack focusing on the creature and his wolf respectively.

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Schmidt flails out at the wolf, hoping to survive!
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 4/16/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Using the same order, now with Phelim - Phelim, Bel'xor, Creatures, Wennic, Schmidt, Wolf.

Phelim slips in behind the melee, unnoticed, and plunges his spear in between the wolf-handler's shoulder blades. The creature grunts and slumps to the floor, dead.
Bel'xor chops at the wounded creature and kills it!
Wennic and Schmidt team up on the wolf, but only Wennic manages to wound it with his spear.

His master dead, the wolf turns and runs. Wennic is able to stab it with his spear as it runs away north, further wounding it.

Phelim's torch is spent, but Guthry's lantern has a bit more oil left in it.

All is quiet, poor Velas's body lies amongst the dead creatures. Actions?

All four creatures are dead
The wolf was wounded but has run off
Schmidt is wounded
Velas is dead!
Phelim needs a new torch

Code: Select all

+----------+----------+
|Name      |HP        |
+----------+----------+
|Wennic    |3/3       |
+----------+----------+
|Bel'xor   |9/9       |
+----------+----------+
|Phelim    |4/4       |
+----------+----------+
|Guthry    |5/5       |
+----------+----------+
|Schmidt   |2/6       |
+----------+----------+
|Velas     |RIP       |
+----------+----------+
Mechanics:

Surprise attacks go first. Since this is melee and the creatures are occupied, we'll use normal surprise metrics for them noticing Phelim's sneak attack. I'll say he will be noticed on a 1-2 on a d6 = 4. So he is not noticed!

Phelim vs. wolf handler - sneak attack d20+4 = 16 HIT for (d6+1)x2 = 12 dmg wolf handler is dead!
Bel'xor vs. wounded creature d20+2 = 19 HIT for d8+1 = 6 dmg wounded creature is dead!
Wennic vs. wolf d20 = 14 HIT for d6+1 = 3 dmg
Schmidt vs. wolf d20 = 4 MISS

The wolf remains, and it is his attack... but let's do a final morale check: 2d6 = 11 - fail!

You can all get an attack at +2 against the wolf, since it is fleeing combat.

Phelim d20+2 = 4 MISS
Bel'xor d20+4 = 5 MISS
Wennic d20+2 = 17 HIT for d6+1 = 5 dmg
Schmidt d20+2 = 11 MISS